Jony Ive Put Apple's Marketing Team in Charge of iOS 7 Icon Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Next Web has given us a peek behind the scenes at the development of the new and controversial user interface in iOS 7.

One of the more revealing points in the piece is that Jony Ive, recently put in charge of software as well as hardware design, tapped Apple's marketing and communications team -- MarCom -- to design the look and feel of the icons. Then, with those as a guide, the iOS design teams went to work.
    The site goes on to note that the design is "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

Article Link: Jony Ive Put Apple's Marketing Team in Charge of iOS 7 Icon Design

2. macrumors 65816

musika

That explains that.

3. macrumors newbie

It sure as heck needs to.

4. macrumors 6502

That's good. I think they've made a good start but the icons in particular do need some refinement.

5. macrumors 6502

As impressed as I am with the amount of work they've done so far, the icons let the rest of OS down, I feel.

6. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I like the idea that stuff could actually change during the beta, some of those icons do look a little early or half baked, but I guess they're a bit too simple for my taste.

7. macrumors member

Ok everyone, don't panic(get your towel if you need it) and step back from the edge. Everything is going to be ok.

8. macrumors member

Time to get the barbie out.

9. macrumors member

It is good news that it will change.

Now they can announce 10.9 will really be called "Sea Lion"

10. macrumors 6502a

Wow. That explains a lot indeed, but why oh why...

Apple has entire teams of excellent designers. Not hardware designers, graphic designers.

What.

Anyway, this is kind of good news. That they're saying it's a WIP is confirmation that they've heard us.

11. macrumors regular

They need to take them off, because everything about ios7 is great, but the icons make my eyes bleed.

12. macrumors 65816

Fascinating.

The bit about significant changes during the beta process makes me feel better about the icons. Even if they don't change, meh, it's just the stock apps. Then again that's the first thing you see with a new iPhone so..... well here's hoping for better icons! :D

13. doug in albq, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

macrumors 65816

doug in albq

I would deny responsibility for those icons also.

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

I called this one also...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594492

14. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

In my short experience with iOS 7 it seems that the more "experienced" iOS user finds the new look rather... too colourful... but, the younger teenager seems to find the new look super cool.

15. macrumors member

Best news I've heard all day.

16. macrumors newbie

Good. Then they can let the compass be a compass.

I hope they realize Safari needs a new icon and one that doesn't completely look like what another app on the phone does. Plus, take the red from the Music app and use it on the Calendar icon so the day and date will stick out. Plus, anyone else find the flashlight icon woefully out of place on Control Center? A simple lightbulb works. In the end, good to know these WILL change over time.

17. macrumors 6502a

I really hope they do change.
    Also I think something needs to be done about how the icons and text sit on the wallpaper. With the ultra light font and no drop shadow most wallpapers just look cluttered. I'm finding just putting a plain black wallpaper looks the best, which is a shame.

18. macrumors member

You need a better day then.

19. macrumors regular

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually like the new icons.

20. macrumors 6502a

Phew, I thought Ive had lost his mind. I think of the cheap world of Samsung and Microsoft using iOS 7 beta 1. Please fix it.

21. macrumors 6502

Scary

Putting Marketing people in charge of ANYTHING critical is a bad idea. They aren't engineers, they aren't interface people, heck, they aren't even graphics and design people. Marketing is full of glorified sales people. As others have said this explains a lot.

22. macrumors 68000

Thank gawd! There is hope!

23. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Nice :)

24. macrumors 65816

I'm hopeful that the final product will be beautiful and functional.

I think that Apple still believes that "customers pay us to make decisions for them" but I also think there is less of the Jobs-era arrogance of "my way or the highway".

Just look at the background color "themes" that iOS 7 has...

I see Apple listening to beta feedback and adjusting the look of the OS for the better.

I hope.

25. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, he needs to beat Bunker on 00 Agent in Goldeneye 64 like I did.