Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
When I was shopping for a decent sound system I went to the store to listen to bosse. I had good impression hearing them some years before in a friend's house.
After listening to them for 3 minutes I was disapointed.

As for the mac 20th anniversary, I remember it from Seinfeld. Nice rig.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Only because you haven't heard better speakers that cost less.

Such as? I'm actually curious because I'm looking for something that sounds better than the computer, but is less unruly than the M-Audio reference speakers I use when I record. It's a pain to switch on each speaker and the audio interface, not to mention the cables all over.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I understand that. I wasn't saying anything about the price. You just took that and ran with it. Not sure what all that is about.

I owned Macs that cost almost that much at the time and the external hardware was well over that.

No Mac was ever as expensive as the IIfx anyway...:D

----------

At Best Buy back in '96 we had a tagline for that "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

I will give props to Bose for "big" sound from a small package. But I'll never buy for my home or car (disclaimer: I have a pair of 301s that my brother gave me on my porch). 1970's tech, high THD and WAY overpriced.

Well, their noise-cancelling headphones are second to NONE.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
It almost looks as if it was actually made in the USA. Good times!

Made in usa is a no go on many markets.
Maybe assembled in usa - that could work.
But every complex part has to come from Asia or at least Europe.
Just like Harley Davidson motorcycles: always bashing the Japanese but the most complex parts on it came from Japan.
Complex parts from Europe. Only the steel can be done in usa - and that's something every country can manage these days.
We should be glad apple produces in china/Asia these days..

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
236779-seinfeld-1990-1998.jpg

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Funny now many posters bashing Bose being a overpriced knockoff. Better off something else or Buy other sound equipment were funny taglines, and accurate too.

Not that I disagree with that, but does Apple not behave the same?

Way overpriced products (just like Bose)
Sexy n smooth outlook (just like Bose)
So so products n only attract common consumer class (just like Bose)
Many times underspecced (just like Bose)
Always wrap something small thin n light (just like Bose)
No longer makes real "Pro" equipment (just like Bose)

So what makes them any different :rolleyes:

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
But bose and beats are consumer friendly. they're not the most accurate/capable, but they have clean, consumer friendly designs, and have a 'wow' sound that is appealing to customers. exhibit a: the bose sounddock... look how popular it's become and a lot of people swear by them.

Sort of like iOS vs Android.

expensive, small designs, big (though not the most technologically great) sound...kind of like the iPad mini?

The other good brands are as consumer friendly. Either of those companies offer better sound, designs at the same prices. Don't buy into BOSE bs, you can get significantly better for the same amount of money and easy to use equipmen/nice designs.

dreamyguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Jony Ive has always spoken like he's just found the cure for cancer...

He's a great designer, but he's good at selling his designs as well. There are a lot of talented designers out there, but only few are good at selling their ideas. No wonder why Steve Jobs ended up hiring him.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The other good brands are as consumer friendly. Either of those companies offer better sound, designs at the same prices. Don't buy into BOSE bs, you can get significantly better for the same amount of money and easy to use equipmen/nice designs.

no I agree. I don't have bose anything except for the sounddock which i got for free.
But I can't agree that UE is as appealing to consumers as beats.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.

What do you mean "complete with British accent". You write that as if he hasn't got a British accent any more. He's British and speaks with a British accent. What a ridiculous thing to write.

Glad I got that out of my system. :p

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I'm not so sure this should boost our confidence in Ives. But think about how it was received at the time. The product was widely regarded as out-of-touch, over priced, over-thought, inaccessible, and problematic. Remember, this was the same product that was delivered to homes in limo and seen as a momentous occasion for only a select few. A waste of resources and engineering.

It's easy to look back and say that this product was "ahead of time" when we should have be saying that it was "in the wrong place and the wrong time." Let's hope Apple learned from the mistake.

hondagus87

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
Klipsch is way better than anything Bose puts out

Kinda like paying 100.00 for a monster Hdmi cable. Bose feeds off ignorance and consumers lack of knowledge to sell you basic speakers.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Such as? I'm actually curious because I'm looking for something that sounds better than the computer, but is less unruly than the M-Audio reference speakers I use when I record. It's a pain to switch on each speaker and the audio interface, not to mention the cables all over.

Among the small powered speakers, my favorite is Audioengine 2 (aka A2). I also have B&W MM-1, which costs more than twice as much and have better usability and design. While MM-1 has much better upper range, I actually prefer A2 overall. Having said that, A2 scores pretty low on usability, with controls on the back of the speaker.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Let's all remember that there was no computer with that level of design at the time.

There are still very few computers that match that level of design, not created by Apple. They exist, but they’re the exception that proves the rule.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There are still very few computers that match that level of design, not created by Apple. They exist, but they’re the exception that proves the rule.

So true - I've owned a few over the years. There was a line from Toshiba around this time called the Infinia and it had a TV tuner card, radio etc. Pretty but not near the design of Apple. Also not 10K :D

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1090&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=ghJXsrJpsgvUwM:&imgrefurl=http://partners.nytimes.com/library/cyber/compcol/0924compcol-manes.html&docid=SrfNvgfwg8cCPM&imgurl=http://partners.nytimes.com/library/cyber/compcol/0924compcol-manes-toshiba.gif&w=225&h=147&ei=fMqmUJCcGuThiAK-nYDgBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=28&vpy=491&dur=232&hovh=117&hovw=180&tx=117&ty=63&sig=115892656749334583014&page=1&tbnh=117&tbnw=180&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:110

I had a Sony Vaio one time that was very interestingly designed but again it was no Apple.

Last edited:

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Funny now many posters bashing Bose being a overpriced knockoff. Better off something else or Buy other sound equipment were funny taglines, and accurate too.

Not that I disagree with that, but does Apple not behave the same?
No

Way overpriced products (just like Bose)
Compared to? Last I looked Ultrabooks were struggling to meet Apple’s MSRP; 10" tablets were struggling to meet the iPad MSRP. There are pieces of Apple’s line-up that are grossly overpriced (Airport, most of their cables & adapters), but a like for like comparison Apple is rarely “way” overpriced and often right inline with comparable products.

Sexy n smooth outlook (just like Bose)
Apple yes, Bose no. Now Bang & Olufsen*…

So so products n only attract common consumer class (just like Bose)
No longer makes real "Pro" equipment (just like Bose)

Not every profession requires a 12-core Itanium with 64GB of RAM and a petabyte of storage. Louis C.K. edits his television show on a 13" Macbook Pro. I’d wager he does more on that “consumer class” P.C. than most people who post here.

Many times underspecced (just like Bose)
Compared to? Again last time I looked there’s no AIO that competes with the new iMac, there’s nothing even remotely close to the retina Powerbooks or MacBook Airs, nor the new iPad or the iPhone 5.

Always wrap something small thin n light (just like Bose)

Thin & light has never been part of the Bose experience. Maybe small, but not thin & light.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What amazes me most is how little has changed about Ive and his design philosophy. Almost everything he said in that video could apply to his approach to the new iMac or iPhone as well. The man is certainly consistent.

Except he kept trying to say the backside of the TAM looked elegant. That looked truly terrible. It looked no less complicated than any other computer. The iMac actually looked good from the git-go and has only gotten better with each new design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.