journaling?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by picklescott, Oct 25, 2003.

1. macrumors member

I remember that Panther uses a Journaling File System. Does that mean for optimal performance you should do a clean install so it can reformat the hard drive using the Journaling File System?

2. macrumors 6502

Journaling will make you run slower than you do without it. You proally already know that though.

3. thread starter macrumors member

slower?

actually... i didn't

but... what are the benefits to it? something with kernel panics and forced reboots... right?

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. macrumors regular

journaling

If you want journaling you do not need to reformat, or install from scratch, it is something you can enable at any time, on an Mac OS Extended Volume you can simple "enable journaling" in the disk util.

I have not figured out how to turn it off though, so make sure you want it.

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. macrumors 65816

bankshot

Re: journaling

You can turn it off in Disk Utility too. It's under the File menu, just not on the toolbar. Although, you shouldn't turn it off. Journaling is a very good thing. ;)

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Re: Re: journaling

Good for stability. I've got a PowerBook with a 4200 RPM drive. I'm debating whether or not to turn it off. On one hand, Apple makes it sound like it only matters if you value stability over speed and/or if you run a server. Neither of those applies to me. On the other hand, Apple wouldn't have it on by default without a reason.

Advice?