iPad Journalist still using iPad 1!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rollzst, Dec 6, 2012.

1. rollzst, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors member

Apr 10, 2011
    I was watching Sky news today on my iPad as I normally do over lunch and was very surprised to notice the news reader using an iPad 1. I would have thought that they would have been using the latest iPad, especially as I am sure they will be watching video content.

I managed to snap a quick photo, its hard to tell on the photo but it is for sure an iPad 1.

2. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    I imagine it still functions to her needs. Why discard?

Also, iPad 1 plays video. Why do you think it does not?

If it bothers you, I'm sure she would accept a gift if you bought her a new one.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 10, 2011
    What I mean is being a news channel they will probably be editing video content and doing RAM intensive tasks on the iPads, something the iPad 1 struggles with.

It doesn't bother me I was just surprised a company as rich as Sky still using the iPad 1!
  4. macrumors 603

Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene
    Good grief. They're not editing their videos on iPads.
  5. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    My old iPad 1 works just fine. No rush to update.
  6. macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2005
    I still run an iPad 1. Its a little slow but suits my needs.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    I've seen plenty of news anchors using iPad 1's. It's probably not their personal iPad, you know. No surprise.
  8. macrumors 65832

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm sure there are still tons of people out there using a first gen iPad for both professional and personal use. Not everyone is locked into eternal upgrade cycles, or need the latest to get their stuff done.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida

They are probably just using them like teleprompters or cue cards. Something the iPad 1 is fully capable of doing.

Although I passed my iPad 1 on to my partner, it still gets used every day. Just because there are newer versions available, does not make the older ones no longer work. As long as it fits the needs of the news organization, why should they upgrade.
  10. macrumors 68040

Feb 13, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeah, they will most definitely NOT be doing any video processing on the iPad.

They'll be using them for notes and that's about it.
  11. macrumors 68020

Nov 22, 2011
    East Coast USA
    lol i know right? OP she probably is just using the note pad.
  12. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    The iPads on some of these shows are essentially props. They serve little or no purpose, other than to make the show seem more cutting edge and modern when displayed.
  13. macrumors member

Dec 2, 2006
    I'm still using an ipad 1 for mail reading, occasionnal web browsing, emergency web programming, skype calling and for listening to music and while it's a bit slow still work perfectly fine :)
  14. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    They're not doing any of that ontheir iPad.
  15. macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2009
    The journalist in question is just an Apple user like the rest of us. Just because you have a job like that, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to the latest and greatest. If it still works for you, that's good enough. There are probably many rich people out there who see no need to upgrade to the new version anytime soon.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2010
    Not everyone feels the urge to buy a latest incremental upgrade:rolleyes:

Isn't this why some people are rich in the first place?

Poor people scrimp and save for the latest and greatest, squandering their money in the process

Rich (or at leasts smart people) appreciate something that works, and doesn't feel the need to discard it at the drop of a hat
  17. macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2011
    Yeah, it's probably not even a working unit. Equally likely, she doesn't even know how to use it.

18. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    That's what computers are for, which they have

the first ipad can do skype calling? didn't know that
  19. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2008
    Tampa, Florida
    Audio calling, sure. They still work wonderfully for that.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2010
    Which ironically for the trained eye makes them look behind in technology but as others have said even if it serves a function it's probably limited and most likely company issued. If it works why bother upgrading? Just a testament to how well Apples products hold the test of time which is pretty incredible in the ever changing tech environment,
  21. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2012
    My aunt still has her iPad 1, she's happy with it. I don't think news presenters do much with their iPads especially When on the job. It's mostly just a showpiece to look trendy
  22. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    My uncle, who makes close to $1 million a year, still uses Word Perfect on an old i386 machine to create and edit documents, which he then prints on an 10+ year old printer, for his business.

He could certainly afford something newer, but he says that by NOT learning all the newest technologies, he has much more free time and more money.

He's an expert at Word Perfect, having used it for 20 years plus. He can get things done a lot faster with it. He also has an iPad 1, and thinks he will keep it for at least the next 5 years. He uses it for video and reading when he's traveling on planes, and web surfing when he's in hotels.

All his 'business' work is done on his i386 at his home office.
  23. Guest

May 8, 2008
    Diane Sawyer still uses her original iPad while anchoring ABC WN.
  24. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably because it was supplied by the news station where she works.
  25. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not important to him. I am sure he has other nice toys he spends money on lol.