Joystick for flying

Discussion in 'Games' started by pknz, Jul 5, 2005.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I am in the market for a joystick. I was looking at either a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro or a Saitek Cyborg Evo, but these seem to have a fair share of negative reviews.

I am now looking at a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro. Does anyone have any info they could share about any of these sticks?

I will use it for Flight sim games X-Plane 8, F/A-18 Hornet Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Also will the joystick be able to run from the keyboard (USB Slot) at the same time as a mouse, or will this cause to much power to be drawn to keyboard?

Thanks

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Don't have too much advice for you. I've always bought CH Products, and currently have the Combatstick 568. And they tend to be pricey. Unfortunately, it doesn't work natively with Battlefield 1942 and I was forced to use USB Overdrive to get it recognized. It works fine with Warbirds, as do the rudder pedals. No luck with F/A-18, although it may be USB Overdrive is causing havoc with the game. I'll try again once I install Tiger.

For further information, I suggest checking out Inside Mac Games, try a search on their forums, or even emailing Peter Cohen (at Inside Mac Games). He was really helpful.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have the Cyborg Evo and can say that it works perfectly with X-Plane. You don't need any drivers, the game just recognizes it and lets you program the buttons. It feels solid and has a little stiffer of a stick than some joysticks I have tried, depending on your taste this could be a plus or a minus. It can also be made to be left or right handed. Biggest complaint is that three of the buttons on the base are always hard to get to because the hand holding the stick blocks easy reach of them from the other hand.

That said, I have not tried it in any other games and so it may need USB overdrive for them since it has no Mac drivers.

Hope this helps you some.

4. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Hrmm I have a saitek x45, but ive never tried the stick on my mac, just on my pc.

If you really really wanna play a REALLY good flight sim, get a cheap pc(like 1.5ghz or so with a Geforce3+) and check out Falcon4.0 Allied Force, just came out like 7 days ago and it is AWESOME! I especially can't wait for the future improvments that are going to be coming for that game =)

http://www.lead-pursuit.com

5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I have a Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro, and I love it. It's one of the more durable sticks I've used over the years. I haven't used it much under OS X (it does work in X-Plane without 3rd party USB drivers), but I've used it extensively under OS 9. As far as F/A-18, it works well in F/A-18 3.0/Korea Gold under OS 9, so I imagine it would work well for Iraqi Freedom (but I'm not sure about 3rd party driver issues for OS X).