Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
Hmmm...interesting. I can't see a format created by just one compnay ie Microsoft will become the de facto standard.

I think a real replacement will come from the people who regulate formats like the MPEG group. I guess there will be an MPEG4 EDIT: (Not actually an MPEG4, but equivilant) for images soon though, jpeg has been around for a while now! But I turn to PNG when JPEG isnt quite up to scratch.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I think a real replacement will come from the people who regulate formats like the MPEG group. I guess there will be an MPEG4 EDIT: (Not actually an MPEG4, but equivilant) for images soon though, jpeg has been around for a while now! But I turn to PNG when JPEG isnt quite up to scratch.

It was tried a few years ago with JPEG 2000, with many of the same claimed benefits as this Microsoft format. It hasn't gained much traction since the older JPEG compressed format and other lossless options are so entrenched.

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Ahh i thought jpeg2000 was kinda intergrated into everything so i thought it was transparent but in the latest camera's etc i guess its not then.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Just seen a article claiming microsoft are releasing a new file format to replace jpeg. Offering better quality photo's at half the size.

Any camera manufacturer which adopts HD Photo (née Windows Media Photo) format should be flogged. Of course, the current format in vogue among professional cameras is RAW. So, it would seem that HD Photo is the answer to a question is the answer to a question that no one asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.