JPEG->TIFF and keep the original info?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dhracer88, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dhracer88 macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    Does anyone know if you can convert (in PSE3) JPEG files into TIFF and still keep the metadata, or at least the date the picture was taken? When I get my Mac, I want to convert all of my photos to TIFF or PSD, but when I did it with the trial version of Elements 3, TIFF files were created with the same date I converted. Can you keep the date? Or is there another program to convert and retain data?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Why would you want to go from JPEG to TIFF? You are just making the image file larger with no gain in image quality. Just keep the original JPEG. The only real need to convert to TIFF from JPEG are if you need an intermediate editing file or going to press and the rasterizer does not take JPEG.
  3. dhracer88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    I would like to convert it becasue JPEG is a lossy compression, and TIFF isn't. I know I won't gain any image quality, but for frequent viewing and archiving, I would like to use TIFF or PSD. I have noticed on a few of my pictures (ones that have been opened often and are older), a few blotches that weren't there before, nothing a cloning stamp couldn't fix, but I don't want to do that often.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Lacero tried to explain to you that it is impossible to do what you are trying to do. Once you lose data by JPEG compression, you cannot recover the data. Period.
  5. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Regardless of whether what he's doing is necessary or not, the question hasn't been answered.

I just did a little test and the metadata was clearly updated to today's date. However, there's a dropdown in the metadata for camera data that shows the original date (Date Time Original).

However, it bloated my file by about five times the JPEG size. The only reason you want to resave any of these as a Tiff is after you edit it, or before you send it to print.
  6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Don't most camera's nowadays offer a TIFF format? Usually labeled something like SHQ or Super-Duper High Quality.

You may want to check your camera manual, this way you wont need to convert formats.

P.S. I highly doubt an image can be modified just by repeated viewing, unless you specifically did so in an editing program.
  7. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    ROTF, this is one of the funniest questions I have every heard, JPG ---> TIFF, that like converting AVI ---> (SD)DVD 4.7.

If you have taken out the image in JPG; just leave it as so, as you do not have many options. If you have an image in TIFF or RAW you have more options. That is just the way it stands. :)
  8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Not by viewing, but if dhracer88 is opening a JPEG and resaving it each time, it is being recompressed and will lose more quality.

If you have to open and edit a JPEG repeatedly, saving as TIFF is a valid way to go. Or, if you have to save as JPEG, save with maximum quality. Better yet, sequester the original files and only work on a duplicate copy... (!)