JSP on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by yg17, Aug 1, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know HTML, and I know Java. I've just never actually combined the 2 for JSP. I need to do a little JSP stuff for work and need to practice. How do I go about using JSP on OSX? I already have Apache, PHP and MySQL.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Two words: Apache Tomcat

If you need to integrate into Apache HTTP Server, you will need a connector such as mod_jk

4. atmenterprises macrumors regular

Or go download the Netbeans bundle (under J2EE downloads) from java.sun.com. That's what I use - it's at least a container and a webserver (not sure if it's a full J2EE-compliant application server i.e. EJBs might not work). Netbeans includes Tomcat and I've been writing and deploying JSPs and running them locally.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

It is highly recommended that you start by learning servlets first then moving on
    to JSP. And as other people mentioned, to use either servlets or JSP you will
    need a webcontainer (e.g Tomcat).

6. mbabauer macrumors regular

Use Tomcat, unless you want to make the leap to full-blow J2EE, then grab JBoss, which ironically uses Tomcat as its servlet container. Mod_jk works well with apache, and can make either JBoss or Tomcat work pretty seemlessly with static web content.