Juan Cole on the Iraq Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There is a very long and informative article by Professor Juan Cole at Salon.com. I highly recommend it. In order to read the article you have to either subscribe or watch an ad for a 24hr free pass. While Salon can no doubt use your money, I find the latter option not too onerous.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so does this mean that the bush administration's goals now line up w/ those of the sunni insurgents? i.e. the best way to ram through the constitution is to keep the sunnis away from the voting booths during the referendum?

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

This confirms my long-held suspicions that the Bush administration's actions are determined by ****ing fortune cookies.

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If I read it right it only takes two-thirds of those voting in three provinces to derail the Constitution. Somehow the Bush administration must persuade one-third of voters in provinces they have alienated and spurned at every turn since the invasion to agree to a Constitution that will likely place them at the mercy of their political rivals. I suppose there is always voter fraud, but short of that it doesn't seem likely. The Sunni insurgents on the other hand only have to continue what they are doing. The failure of the Constitution or its passage over the objections of a substantial minority both suit their purpose. What were seeing is the disintegration of Iraq into three separate countries aided and abetted by the Bush administration's incompetence.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, gotcha. mr cole doesn't mention it (that i recall, i read it kinda late), but i wonder if there's a minimum turnout needed for that province to count.

it's difficult for me to imagine the bush administration taking fraud off the table. after all, the ends justify the means, no?