Judge Denies TigerDirect's Request for Injunction

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GFLPraxis, May 14, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Whew :D
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Talk about a legal smackdown. That's hilarious.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Quick! Change your name to Lion Direct so that you can do this again!
  4. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Good for Apple. I've never bought from Tiger, and after this sleazy attempt to extort money from them, I never will.
  5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    The Honorable Judge Lenard has spoken. :)

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    I don't think this was ever going to be an issue, as discussed at the time, tigerdirect had no case...
  7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I got front page? :eek: ... :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Macrumors!

Back on topic...TigerDirect got pwned pretty bad, eh? That judge kicked their rears... :p
  8. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    if i were to fill in a survay like that i'd put down the first thing i would think of as new egg just to rub it in there face :D

also why dosent tigerdirect microsoft for there use of the word direct in directx?
  9. kewpid macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2003
  10. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Lion Power

I don't know. I think MGM's already sitting pretty on that one. ;)

"But, people might buy the OSX 10.5 box thinking they're purchasing one of our movies!"

I actually have a Panther mouse pad that I - uh - flirted shamelessly with a Best Buy salesman to get - in a picture frame in my office. Most people assume I'm a fan of Malcolm X. The saddest, though, was the Xerox salesman who wanted to know why I had the Xerox logo so prominently displayed. Pretty sad when you don't know your own company's logo!

11. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
  12. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

May 12, 2005
  13. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2004
    lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
    Well, given that you can get a couple of million dollars because the company didn't specifically emphasized that the coffee was hot... I wouldn't have been very surprised, but I am glad that common sense seem to have prevailed in this case.
  14. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    This is probably just a silly conspiracy theory but I wonder if MS or ANY major Apple competitor had anything to do with this.

I mean...what good did it do TigerDirect to wait till launch day to request an injunction, when the name was announced last year? It seems to me that they timed to hurt Apple as much as possible rather than to help themselves, since they waited till everyone know Tiger = Mac OS X 10.4 which completely ruins the purpose of the lawsuit.

Maybe Microsoft put them up to it? They've done it in the past with SCO...
    [/end conspiracy theory of the week]

Good thing they lost :D
  15. l008com macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    I have bought from tiger direct before. I bought an LCD. It was complete junk. I returned it and vowed never to buy from them again. Now I REALLY won't buy from them again.
  16. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I hope your not refering to the McDonalds case. Sure it's easy to think that if a lady spills hot coffee on her self its her fault. But that's not what the lawsuit was over. The lawsuit was over the fact that McDonalds served coffee at 185 degree average, while other places served coffee at 140 degrees average. Oh and by the way, skins burns at 180 degrees. Meaning that when the coffee reaches the consumers hands it is not consumable. Also noted is that there was also a big movement against McDonalds to have the temp lowered as well as McDonalds knowing of over 700 burn cases. If I spilled coffee on myself, I would expect it to be hot, maybe even burn my skin a little to the point where it would hurt for a while, but I wouldn't expect having third degree burns and skin grafing done.
  17. gugy macrumors 68020

Jan 31, 2005
    La Jolla, CA
    This is a perfect example of how the American legal system is so screw up.
    like somebody said in this post, if you can get $2 million because the coffee was hot and the cup did not warned you, so Tigerdirect tried the same thing to make an easy buck.
    I am happy they lost. But this might not be the end of it.
    The problem in this country is that NOBODY takes responsibility for their acts and rather accuse somebody else for being irresponsible and make a profit from their irresponsibility.
  18. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2004
    My guess is that they hoped for an out of court settlement. If you want to put pressure on a person/company you give them no room to maneuver. That is why you wait until the last minute, when Apple hardly can change the name.
    If they wanted to protect their name, they would have filed the suit as soon as they got word that Apple was about to name the new OS Tiger.
    Again just my guess of course...
  19. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  20. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    A high five for bringing this up. Its annoying how everyone uses this as an example of a frivolous lawsuit without knowing the facts behind the case. I'm sure that everyone's perception of this case being frivolous has everything to do with McDonald's PR trying to make the victim look like the bad person.
  21. d.perel macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2005
    Yay. I guess the justice system can be good for something ;)
  22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The most amazing thing is that it happened in Floriduh where sense is not at all common.

It would seem that TigerDirect's ambulance chaser wasn't smart enough to curtail Apple's defence.
  23. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2004
    My point was just that everybody knows that coffee is hot. In fact it should be hot. If I got lukewarm coffee I would send it back and never go to that place again. It should be obvious to any normally gifted person that hot beverages can cause harm, thus you have to act with care. Secondly, since M never specifically stated exact at what temperature their coffee was served at, you have to make sure it isnt too hot before you place the cup inbetween your thighs and drive off.
    Finally, since Mc is a fast food restaurant where there is a lag in between the preparation and the actual consumption of the food/beverage, you have to prepare it colder/ hotter than normally. That should be obvious too. If M didn't prepare e.g. the coffee hotter than it should be for consumption, we would in most cases get lukewarm coffee. There was a rational reason why M served their coffee hot.
    The M lawsuit is IMHO a good example of a frivolous lawsuits that only will result in that companies will be forced to spend a lot of money providing customers with information they all ready have or should have in the first place.
    Everybody will lose if companies can't assume that people have common sense. If you doubt me, then answer this; have any one of you guys ever considered to pull a plasticbag over someones head? Companies scared of lawsuits put a warning text on wrapping plasticbags, warning people that it could cause asphyxiation. DUUUHHHH!!!!
    What is next? Warning texts in bricks? Please, do not try to devour this piece of building equipment. It could harm your teeths and ultimately cause stomach pain.
  24. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    So M probably prepped it at 190 degrees or maybe a little over. They could 've just prepped it at 160 and let it cool down to 145, but noooo. They knew the correct prep temperature, they knew of other burn cases, but they still served their coffee scalding hot. Sorry, but you have no clue what you're talking about.