Judge my new PC.

Discussion in 'Games' started by kouljackson, Jul 10, 2006.

1. kouljackson macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    I know this is a Mac forum, but there are alot of knowledgeable guys around who know both plateforms, so please tell me what you think about my new gaming rig.

BTW, I'm in the US Army(I know it's not the best occupation, but i love it Very Happy ). I'm at a point where I'll be sticking around in one spot for about two years. So i think I can build myself a new rig, and then start running PEAR again...but I also wanna do some heavey gameing stuff, HalfLife:Source, Doom3, Age of Empires3, that new StarWars RPG, Guildwars...stuff like that. I built a new PC out at TigerDirect.com. I don't intend to buy there but is there anything missing from the list that i need?

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard
    -Audio Built on
    -NIC Built on
    -PCI-Xpress(SLI so i guess this thing has two PCI-Xpress ready ports)
    AMD Athlon 3500+, Socket 939
    Nvidia Geforce 7600GT PCI-x, 256MB by BFG.
    Sony DRU-810a DVD-RW(Dual Layer)
    Case, Cheap black, 450Watt PSU
    Seagate 160GB SATA-150 HD.
    Kingston 512MB DDR400(two of them, so i'll have 1GB of RAM).

Can you guys think of anything I'm missing? I've got a cool keyboard and mouse at walmart i"ll buy, I'm still thinking about an LCD monitor. Any suggestions or thoughts?
  2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    If you can, I'd recommend getting an X2. A lot of games now can use it. And, if you want to, you could OC it well :)
  3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Stay away from TigerDirect, aka Ripoff City.

Go to newegg.

You'll save a HELL of a lot.

Decent specs though, though I recommend as well a dual core processor.

I also recommend 2 GB of RAM.
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Dont get 7600 GT, get either 7800 GTX or 7900, they are far more powerful!
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I might have been impressed, or underimpressed or whatever if I knew what them specs mean. god I've been out the hardware game for too long.
  7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Having literally glanced over the specs, it seems a solid set up. I would upgrade the RAM to 2GB, mind, and maybe the GFX card.

Rating (higher being better): 7/10. I've seen better, but I've seen worse (ie mine-GeForce 4 MX 440 :eek: ).
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Yes, try to scoop up an Athlon 64 X2 processor if possible. 2GB of RAM would also be recommended. :)
  9. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    I would wait until the 23rd of this month and then see how the release of Conroe affects the current pricing level of processors.

Afterall, the Conroe will outperform anything currently on the market and still be priced competitively.

And for the love of every human being on this earth, don't buy a generic cheap Power Supply to save a few coins!
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Good suggestion Pressure, I would wait for Conroe to be released and then go with that processor. :)
  11. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
    Well we need to know what your budget is then i can make a better recommendation. But at this point i would say hold off till the 24th of July for the Big AMD Price Slashing. Just look. Or better yet go Conroe since u are doing a new Build(my personal choice). Socket 939 is dead. also do u plan to Overclock?

AMD Athlon X2 3800+(dual 2.0ghz+2x512 L2) Socket AM2 $170(after 7/24)
    ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra(SLI=ripoff) $95.99
    G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ series(PCS6400) 1GB stick $119.99(best ram peroid)
    eVGA 7600GT 580/1500 (eVGA = best warranty , best service) $164.99
    NEC ND-3550A 16x DVD Burner(the GOD of DVD Burners) $34.99
    Seagate 250GB SATA 2 (3Gb/s) $79.99($9 more then 160GB drive)
    Antec TruePower 2.0 550 $89.99(never ever go cheap on a PSU this is asking for trouble you will have system stability issues.)
    Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro+ $25.00

And get a nice case for your new system , i'm sure you don't want your freinds coming over and thinking u have a POS junk box , would u put a Ferrari Engine in a Hyundai Body???
    I recommend either of these 2.

COOLER MASTER Mystique $105.99
    Thermaltake Armor Jr./VC3000BWS $109.99

Lastly , I would suggest going with a Intel Core 2 Duo system if u can spare the extra money. The extra Performance will be worth the cost. Plus cun cooler and OC better. Need only to change Motherboard , CPU , Heatsink in this case. Leave all other components.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Dual 2.1ghz + 2MB L2) Socket LGA 775 $224
    ASUS P5B-Deluxe P965 Intel Chipset $170
    Artic Coolng Freezer 7 Pro $25

Total Cost = AMD AM2 Based $809.93 / Intel Core 2 Duo Based $1018.94

Either way u will have a kick ass system.
  12. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    a good PC needs a good case...;)

13. kouljackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    Wow, great replies in such a short time, let me try to answer all questions.

-I think my budget is really slow, but if i buy the RIGHT parts i can pull them and plug in newer stuff later. For example, a 7600GT and an AMD 3500+ can both be replaced with almost no trouble and two minutes with a 7900GTX(Or two of them) and a AMD X2. I just don't have the money right now.

-The RAM, okay yeah, i could always use more RAM. But should i buy a certain TYPE of ram? Do you all have fav. RAM manufacturore?

-The Case, i think it's funny as hell buying cheap cases and putting in great parts, back in the 90's(So long ago....) i had a P3 600Mhz in an old IBM386 case. My friends called it the "Millenium Falcon", she may not look like much but she's got it where it counts.

Thanks for all the support.
  14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005

I personally think cheap cases look better, as expensive ones are generally pretty garish IMO.
  15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    ahh but your thinking about mac lights and flashy stuff is gammer style.

btw-heres a computer i just got of newegg (literally just got the case isnt here yet so all the parts are sitting on my bed) this totaled out to be a bit over a thousand.

theres no power supply there because I grabed a 600 wat off a friend for 20 bucks.
  16. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
  17. kouljackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    Am i really gonna see the difference between two or four cores? Seriouselly? And i'm never worried about noise and crap when it comes to cooling. I actually have a water cooler for the RAM and processor in a box someplace....not sure if it will work with this mobo, but i plan on watering this bitch.
  18. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003

Are u gonna notice the difference between 4 and 8 Cylinders ...ahh yeah. If u run multiple apps , encode , do video , music ,graphics use any Multitreaded apps. you will see whenre those extra cores went when you cut those encode time by 50-80%. For me time is everything , the faster i can get task done the better.
  19. kouljackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    yeah i see your point, but WindowsXP running multithreads started off not so good...I remember that DualCore, hyperthreading crap made my CPU think it had 4 caches and proformance only went up like 10%...so i guess i'll buy an X2 3800+....but we'll see how i like it.
  20. mishi macrumors regular

May 22, 2004
    dual core processor for gaming =:mad: :confused: :confused:

oh yeah and i would recommend ATi over Nvidia any day unless you plan to get two cards
  21. kouljackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    well i'm getting an SLI motherboard, so yeah I wanna keep that 2nd video card option open...but not sure...i know i won't get another video card right off the bat.
  22. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
    Single core processor for anything =:mad: :confused: :confused:

Single core is a waste and is now considered bargin bin parts , and you will not benifit from outrageous single core clocks as games are GPU limited once you hit higher resolutions.

As far as ATI over Ndivia , 7900GT is the best card for the money , unless
    you are going for a X1900XT/XTX then Nvidia has better stuff.

and to Koul Jackson , don't get into that Crossfire/SLI crap it's a gimmick and waste of money . you will end up spending a ton and only see you precious setup made obsolete in 6 months. Just get 1 good Video Card. then upgrade once a year.
  23. kouljackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    Roger that.