Judge nixes evolution textbook stickers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zaid, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

MSNBC - Judge nixes evolution textbook stickers

In summary:
    A judge in Atlanta ordered a school board to remove stickers placed in a biology text book stating that evolution is a theory and not a fact.

Quoth the judge: “By denigrating evolution, the school board appears to be endorsing the well-known prevailing alternative theory, creationism or variations thereof, even though the sticker does not specifically reference any alternative theories,”

WTF????? This stuff is still seriously happening? :eek:

This little gem was priceless
    Of course evolution is taught without mentioning the biblical story of creation. Evolution is science; the biblical story of creation is not. If parents want it mentioned in a religious education class, that’s fine, but it has no place whatsoever in a science class.

Now I have no objection to the statement “This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered”. Students should receive a whole lesson on the importance of having an open mind and critical thinking. They should be taught that these are crucial in science and in life.

But these stickers are so patently disingenuous as to be ridiculous. :mad: If the school board had placed a sticker like this in all books in the school (including religious texts), then I’d not have any problem with it.
    And Americans call the arabs fundamentalists

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, i know several people who, not understanding the scientific method, reduce science to merely another belief. heck, we've seen it on this board.

has anyone seen evidence of this happening anywhere other than the south?

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We were taught that evolution was a theory, not a fact. It is a theory. Backed up with evidence. It just has more to back it up than creationism, which can be taught at home or in Church, and shouldn't be taught in schools. Because it's religion, not science.

Why is this even an issue?

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i have no idea and i guess i'm not the only one ....

i don't remember any discussions about it here... so these threads are strange/surreal to me

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its amazing people adhere to more primitive ways and thinking. Its a culture thing and if your brought up thinking the earth was made in 7 days and pass that on to your kids well then..............Just look at dogs. 1 root dog but we have chiwahwahs to Great Dane's so if thats doesnt prove evolution nothing ever will. Its a mindset and we all want to live in the reality we have been taught from early on but the truth is everything is changing all the time,our planet,the animals and us are in a constant state of change and adaption.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Happened in Dover Twp. school district of York County just across the river from me. Where I work in Elizabethtown the school board passed a measure condemning "non-traditional" families and defined them as requiring a married husband and wife.

I feel sorry for the kids who had a parent die; who'dathunk it was a sin?

It's not the South, but you wouldn't know that from all the confederate flags you see on pickup trucks (with PA plates, of course :rolleyes: ).

7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

what's the old saying? pennsylvania is philly in the east, pittsburgh in the west, and mississippi in the middle.

no offense to anyone from harrisburg, altoona, state college, breezewood, williamsport, wilkes-barre, or mississippi. just something i heard.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think the problem is that the Religious Right seem to think Liberals hate religion and family values and all that. I don't consider myself Liberal, because I don't fall into that extreme tree-hugging hippy camp, but I do lean somewhat to the left on social issues. I'd defend a Christian's rights just as I'd defend a Scientist's (as if the 2 have to be exclusive), so I still don't see the hubbub, as do a lot of us here. It just seems asinine.

Suddenly Conservatives have become paranoid. Maybe some atheist, ultra-lefties have a srcewed up idea of how we should teach things, but evolution is, and has always been, a theory and should be taught as such. Religion should not. If a parent or student has a problem with it, they should be able to have an open discussion in class, or simply abstain. There's even a form they can sign.

They do the same thing with sex-ed.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And what's wrong with hugging trees? You got something against trees?

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've got nothing against trees. Were I hugging one, then I'd have something against one. ;)

Ever hug a sumac tree?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Like violent rashes?

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Um, didn't you see the sign? "Breezewood, Polulation 0" It's right next to the no pedestrians signs.

Ah Breezewood.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm trying to give them up.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think the population of Breezewood increases a thousandfold on a busy travel day. Drive in, gas up, drive out. Keep moving; nothing to see here.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What exactly are these Creationist idiots worried about? That the government will batter down the doors of churches and arrest any priest or minister that teaches their theory?

No, they're free to teach whatever they want on their own turf. They're just brainwashed Jesus freaks who don't want you learning any alternate theories, no matter how well-grounded they are.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Perhaps a sticker needs to be added to all Bibles, Christians feel their religion is excluded from science classes, I feel that science is being excluded from Churchs. Makes about the same amount of sense. Christians need to be more tolerant and teach some evloutionary theory with their sermons.

18. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh something along the lines of “This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered”

Surprising how well the same sticker fits :)

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like breathing clean air. I like fruit. Shoot, I live it WA... I'm surrounded by them.

I just won't be hugging them anytime soon. ;)

20. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Heard somewhere, don't remember where:

"A friend of mine recently got arrested for smuggling books into [southern state of your choice].

He got off on a technicality, though. No one could actually prove they were books."

:D

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My mother's a science teacher. She's been saying, only half-jokingly, that if the school board were to require that a case for "intelligent design" be taught, she'll tell the kids that space aliens made may have created us.

Be careful what you wish for, eh?

22. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

<thread drift>i dunno. there are some world class truck stops in breezewood. there's one that's all separated from the group; it's up on a little hill but still visible from the interchange. it's got a brown and yellow sign.

it was there that i learned coloring is a popular past time among truckers. the convenience store in that truck stop had a huge section of color-by-number, felt-on-marker, and other such books as well as a way-too-wide selection of markers, crayons, pencils and papers.

still not as cool as the best truck stop i've ever seen which is also in central PA (carlisle, to be exact). steak and eggs for $4.99, counter top only, the only waitress is missing teeth but is still infinitely nicer than you deserve at 3:00 AM. </thread drift>

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You just reminded me why, when travelling to Pittsburgh, I top off the diesel (800 mile range), load up on PowerBars and cruise nonstop until I'm there.