Judge: Parents can't teach pagan beliefs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, May 26, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link.

This is starting to go too far.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now THIS is the kind of judicial activism religious conservatives can get behind!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL someone needs to put a hex on that judge for exceeding judicial authority.... :rolleyes:

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Leave unto Caesar......

Hex initiated.

Googling home Addy for distribution to local High School and Collegiate Hacker community... (JK ;) )

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Thios will get tossed out quicker than you can say Jesus.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that a thiological reference?
    ;)

8. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Sorry for the mess, guys: my head just exploded.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Damn it. ;) :eek:

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Why is this not surprising at all that it happened in Indiana.

Lethal

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because Wiccans are afraid to live in Mississippi. :p

Seriously though, this is just stupid. Everyone knows Wiccans aren't real witches anyway. Most of the Wiccans I know don't even believe in the Devil either. The just chant and sit in drum circles and babble about peace and stuff. They don't even get stoned. Modern Wiccans are boring. When I was younger, it seemed like they were more fun.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yeah, they haven't been the same since they gave up on sex with goats.

14. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Seriously though, I think the judge was correct to point out that the parent's don't seem to understand that sending him to a catholic school and teaching him about wicca may harm the child.

I'm catholic, and went to catholic schools for most of my life, and I would never send my children to a similar school, as the level of brainwashing is excessive. (There are "values" I was taught at school, which I "know" to be wrong, but the damn Jesuits got hold of me when I was very young, and their brainwashing techniques still make me stick to these "mistaken" beliefs.

Like the Jesuits say, "Give me a boy until he's seven, and he's mine for life" (not an exact quotation, but you get the drift.)

If the parent's can't see the confusion they are putting their child in, they should be "assisted", however, I would have preferred that the Judge ruled that they should inseatd send their son to a wiccan school, but thhat if they can't find one nearby, they should settle for a secular/non-religious school.

Can you imagine being raised christian at home, but going to a Moslem or Hindu school, how confusing would that be for a young child?

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm Catholic and went to Catholic school for everything but kindergarten. There were plenty of non-Catholic kids whose parents sent them to parochial schools in search of a better education. I don't think any of them were Wiccan so nobody raised a fuss.

My experience with Catholic schools were generally positive until high school, where I ran into what I can only describe as a politically tainted version of Catholicism: philosophical curiosity and questioning was stifled and right-wing thinking was encouraged. Any opposition to such was invariably met with cooked-up disciplinary action.

Looking back, I actually consider my high school to be an opposite environment of genuine Catholicism, which what I experienced in elementary school.

Education-wise, both schools were woefully inadequate. Had I gone to a public school, I would have had advanced classes and broader resources when I was young. The only solution my parochial school could think of was to offer to move me up a grade, and I was already nearly a year younger than all my classmates and a very small kid.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On the contrary (a) it's none of the judge's business, and (b) an intelligent and well-raised child will cope quite well in any environment.

It's not the same in every school.

This happens a lot to children of every religion living abroad: what's the problem?

17. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thank the Goddess!
    :D

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My parents weren't Wiccan and I didn't attend a Catholic school, but I was still a confused kid. Is it too late to sue?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I know a guy who did it with sheep. But I don't think he was Wiccan, just drunk. BTW, most of that post was sarcasm. In reference to that Buffy episode where Willow is disappointed that her new Wiccan group is all ceremony and bake sales. My last Wiccan meeting was like that. I mean, come on, I like chanting as much as the next guy. But it's supposed to be about more than that. It's about... well, I know it was something. I forget now. Something about getting high around a camp fire or something.

Dunno, it's been a few years. :p

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My dad is Hindu and in India, went to a Catholic school for most of his childhood, as did his uncle. One of my good friends is Muslim and went to a Catholic school in New Jersey.

Kids are smart. They know how to separate their beliefs from the beliefs of an institution. I'm sure the kid can understand that others have different beliefs than him and that he is seeking not religious training, but academic training, from his school.

22. Zaid macrumors 6502

If anything I would think it teaches the kid that their are people out there that believe something different to what he/she does and that despite this some of these people are actually ok, and that they could learn things from these people, or even be friends with them.

This is not such a bad thing, surely!

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Absolutely! I do believe, however, that if you are of part of such an extremely small minority as the members of Wicca, you are likely to learn these lessons quickly regardless. Therefore, I think it is important to point out that the lesson is reciprocal. Despite the intentions of the school administrators (or, hopefully, because of them), making a Catholic school multi-religious affords all students, including Catholic students, an opportunity to recognize the inherent dignity and humanity of their peers, regardless of race, ethnicity, class, or religion. Sadly, the same lesson will likely not be learned about sexuality for some time to come, even in most secular, public schools.

24. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Kids wouldn't give a damn about religion if they weren't brainwashed by their parents from an early age.

But even so, the judge is breaking the law. Freedom of Religion doesn't mean Christian or Jewish only. It's just nuts. All of it.

25. mpw Guest

I wonder what other restriction this judge would dictate on a whim?

If the kid chooses to follow the Wicca religion are his parents going to be held in contempt if they turn up to watch him sing in the choir(or whatever the Wicca equivalent might be) because of their support for this religion?

I really makes me mad when judges make these sort of retarded comments and decisions.

A judge in the UK recently cleared a police officer of a speeding charge when the officer had taken out a new unmarked police car on his own and just for the hell of it and without getting any kind of permission or having any call to leathered it to 160mph on public roads with a limit of 70mph. His own colleagues brought the prosecution when they viewed the cars on-board video yet the judge says he did nothing wrong!

If I was ever in court as plaintiff or defendant for any reason I wouldn't want such retarded loose canons deciding my fate on their whim.