Juggling two languages as a child can slow mental decline

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by professor, Jun 14, 2004.

1. professor macrumors newbie

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I hadn't run across this before as having been determined by a study. Thinking about it, I'm not surprised. Older folks I know who function in English and "Border Tex-Mex" Spanish seem pretty sharp.

One thing for sure, though: The mind is a "use it or lose it" tool...

'Rat

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Bad news for Americans I guess.

It makes sense though and for what it's worth, all 4 of my grandparents were bilingual and they are/were all sharp as a tack. Too bad that bilingualism isn't supported more in the US, I don't mean just amongst immigrants but amongst native born kids as well. Those who don't learn to function in another language end up missing out on a lot.

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Does Basic and English count? How about English and Pascal? ;)

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How about English and American? :rolleyes:

6. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Basic, Cobol, Pascal, Some Assembler :p

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the key here is interhuman communication. Does your computer talk back to you in Basic and Pascal? If so it may count but if that's the case, you may want to consult a counselor just to be on the safe side :eek:

8. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

It does have temper tantrums at times.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Students who are in dual language immersion programs do better than students who are native English speakers on Standardized tests in English. There is where standardized tests are actually good. You can follow a group of chldren and see how their scores change. Students who know two language are cogntively advanced. It has been proven in multiple studies.

See Thomas & Colier for starters.

oops: I read the headline as causing mental decline :eek:

But then again I only know one language, although I've studied several.

10. brap macrumors 68000

Doesn't this stand to reason? Knowing why it works, as opposed to knowing that it works, always helps in similair situations. It's the same with the foundation blocks of language, I seem to remember (although, shamefully I flunked out of French class because I couldn't be bothered! Ha!)

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

You'd think. But there is a big jerk-off (can I say that?) named Unz who was bored and is trying convince everyone that Amercian children should only be taught in English despite all the actual evidence supporting bilingual education. He convinced the whole state of MA, CA, but was shot down in Colorado. It is now being challenged in the courts so hopefully his "English only" rampage will end soon.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I guess it makes sense. Same thing with people who are not normally amniodexterous, but learn to use their left-handed efficiently if they're right handed. Just use your brain, and you won't lose it.

And children who know 2 languages score better on English tests because understanding another language allows someone to notice more about their own language and make comparisons. You can learn a lot that way. Its similar to moving to another country for a while. By experiencing another culture, you notice these small things about your home country that you never notice otherwise because it doesn't stand out and doesn't seem significant.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is the theory. You also learn to think out of the box, it creates mental flexibility. I know that just the act of studying (no fluency) Greek greatly improved my English, so imagine what actually becoming fluent means!

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you could speak greek?

:)

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

not really. I could decode it fluently but understood very little. With a lexicon I could give rough translations. Mostly I could find errors in translations ;)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ack! i should have been more clear. my joke should have read:
    you would be able to speak greek?

...it seemed funny from here....

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

oh... LOL...

My dad's favorite joke: It's all Greek to you!

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

very interesting but i guess there are differences what languages you learned...

knowing german and english relativly good (i had my problems with french) won't help me much with other languages because both are (rather) similiar and share much in common

if somebody knows russian,english and latin..well then he has perhaps a lot more benefits

i wished i had bilingual parents..would be really cool to speak 2 languages fluently

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If half the people on this forum could speak english as well as you, they'd have good reason to be proud of themselves. :)

20. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

You can do this on any subject.

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

But parents are told not to let their children play with refrigerator boxes... ;)

22. numediaman macrumors 6502a

L'étude d'une autre langue est une perte de temps. Mais le Français parlant vous aide avec des filles.

[No attacking my infantile French].

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

using babelfish to translate from french to english to german back to english yields the second sentence as:
    "But the speaking Frenchmen help you with girls."

24. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Babelfish is to translation as Windows is to an OS.

25. BOSOX78250 macrumors newbie

NOT ALWAYS THE CASE

Well, I can tell you from personal experience as someone who grew up with two portugues and english speaking parents.

This is not always the case because both of my parents are real idiots!!!![/B]