Juggling?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I want to learn how to juggle.
    I think juggling is pretty much the coolest thing EVER. :)

I'm going to try to learn by watching and following along with this video.

I tried it earlier with some socks but I was less than successful. :eek:

Should I use actual balls or beanbags so they don't roll everywhere the 3brazillion times I'm going to drop them?

Anyone have any advice? How hard was it to learn to juggle?

Thanks! :)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think bean bags are the prop of choice. Don't start with swards....I mean swords:) :p

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Whassa sward?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

D'oh
    sward: an expanse of short grass. My bad:eek:

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wow, there is such a word!

Cool, learnt something today. Now I can go to bed.

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I know how to juggle. Highly overrated. The best way to learn is just practice, practice, practice. My tool of choice were tennis balls.

7. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Should I start with them, though? They'd be bouncing and flying about the house, as I'm cursing them and chasing the balls.
    Would it be too much of a tactile shock to go from beanbag to tennis ball?

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can juggle while standing over a couch, or if you're outside, above sand or grass. Depending on what your "specialty" would be, tennis balls are easier to hold and throw.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I heard its easier to start with 2 balls, then move to 3 when you have 2 mastered. I don't know how to juggle though, so take the advice with a grain of salt.

10. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Learning to juggle isn't hard, it's just a bit of practice.

That's a good teaching video, now if only I could juggle 7 rings like that guy my kids would be really impressed.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Have fun, you little juggling monkey. (Great video.)

I prefer tennis balls too. Lots of practice with 2 balls is the key to doing 3 balls. Notice that you don't have to throw the balls very high, and they each pass in front of your face on the way up. The most common mistake is throwing them too hard and too far to the side.

Something useful that they don't show you in the video: learn to catch one ball in a hand that is already holding a ball. You tuck the first ball down into your lower palm so you fingertips can catch the second ball. You'll need to be able to do that in order to STOP juggling 3 balls; that's what lets you do 2 tosses with 3 balls, stopping, and repeating, as shown in the video, before you move on to 3 tosses with 3 balls; 4 tosses with 3 balls, and eventually continuing tosses without stopping. If you can't stop without dropping the balls, you'll be chasing them all over the place and that makes it much less fun to practice.

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I think bean bags are the best for practice. The main skill in juggling is the throwing not catching, so you might as well use something that is easy to catch. After you master those it is straightforward to use tennis balls.

It is great fun, but I haven't done it for many years. The difficulty rises very rapidly with more balls. I got the hang of 3 and 4, but 5 I could never do for more than about 20 seconds.

Clubs (skittles?) are great fun too - particularly with double spins. Also if you can find a partner, you can try club passing. Each person juggles three clubs and periodically throws one to the other.

13. dcv macrumors G3

Just don't try juggling with boules. They're heavy and it hurts when you drop one on your foot :eek:

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Should have been wearing your little red shoes with the steel toe-caps.

15. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

If you ever get a chance to see Cirque du Soleil, go see it! :)

There is one juggler who juggles hats while riding a unicycle around in a circle on stage. What makes it more amazing is that the hats are like boomerangs and he is throwing them out and over the heads of the audience, juggling 6 - 8 hats at a time.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can probably learn a basic 3 ball cascade in a weekend or less. Start with one ball and learn to throw it acurately both ways. Then add another. Finally add the third. Then you can start learning tricks...

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

"With your toungue in your mouth" :D

I can juggle three balls (including boules :cool: ). Juggling is easy. Really. Juggling continuously for 10 minutes on the same spot is not. That video is very good. The key is your mind. I remember going ice skating years back for the first time. Of course I fell over all the time. But at sometime during that session, or maybe the next, I realized that the reason I was falling over was because I was tense. Rigid, more like. I made a conscious mental effort to relax and not give a damn if I fell over. And guess what. I didn't fall over at all. Of course I was only skating slowly around the outside, but literally I didn't fall over. It's the same with juggling. Free your mind...

With juggling I started with three balls, not two. First one throw. Sorted. Then two. Like that you don't have to get tense about dropping it because you have a close target. Keep calm all the time. And one thing to remember: throw up through the centre. Three. Four. And soon you can break out and keep the rhythm going. It's a mental thing because at first you're counting the throws and just one extra is a big event, but after a while you stop counting and settle into the rhythm. But you have to force yourself not to count. At some stage there's like a leap of faith.

After all that, though, if you're like me, once you've mastered it you'll stop doing it :eek:

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

19. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Ah, thanks! I did wonder about stopping without just dropping them all :)

My brother says that juggling is overrated and I should rather learn to play the spoons.

We'll see who is right when I'm juggling balls of cash from all my juggling. or something.

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Hey, you're cute. And I'm hetero :D

21. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I know how to juggle. I prefer tennis balls, but you should learn/practice with light cloths that almost float. Semi-wadded up grocery bags work as well. You just need to get 3 going real slow so you can get the hand motions down, and then the rest is easy.

22. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

see, I tried with some light socks and they were flinging everywhere. I don't think there was enough weight in them? :confused:

Looks like I need to stop by the store on the way home to get some tennis balls :)

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Koosh balls are great. They're practically un-droppable.

[​IMG]

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Very nice juggling, scem0!

I like to juggle Koosh balls. Unfortunately, the three I have are three different sizes, so it's a bit harder to juggle them than 3 items the same size -- bowling balls, flaming torches, running chainsaws, ice cream cones, angry pit bulls, etc.

Has anybody tried juggling water balloons?

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

*bows with grandeur*

Thank ya' Q!

Not water balloons, but I have juggled knives (butter knives!), flaming torches (yes, on fire :)), clubs, rings, lots of different fruits, and combinations of objects.

You'd be very surprised. Clubs are one of the easiest things to juggle in a standard cascade. They aren't a good place to start, but once you reach a certain skill level they are super easy.

Believe it or not, I have a lot more trouble juggling scarves than clubs. They are unpredictable and way too light. They also get caught on your hands and they move so slow that it actually make it harder on me. 3 bean bag juggling balls is the easiest thing for me to juggle followed by clubs/torches when it comes to a simple cascade.

e