July 20th 1944 - 60th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vollspacken, Jul 20, 2004.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

sorry for this, but I like to point to the fact that today is the 60th anniversary of the failed assassination attempt on Hitler in 1944...

I don't know if this gets any attention anywhere other than Germany and its surrounding countries, but this event has been a high-focus point in the German public for the last two weeks now. I think it's good to see that the patriotic heroes around Stauffenberg, Tresckow, and Oster, as well as their civil counterparts, who put their life at risk in order to end both war and the inhuman Nazi regime, finally get the public recognition and respect they deserve.

if some of you are interested in getting to know some more about what happened on that fateful day, you might check out this site.

vSpacken

2. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

more in-depth information can be found here at The German Resistance Memorial Center.

vSpacken

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its also the 35th anniversary of the first moon landing. Also a significant event, IMHO.

5. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if the attempt on Hitler's life had been successful, the war could have been prolonged. The reason being that Hitler forced his General's to make extremely poor strategic decisions and with him out of the way, Germany's armed forces could have lasted longer or even forced a draw, much like the Armistice that ended WWI.