July 24, 2000: Steve Jobs Predicts iMovie will be bigger tha...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 24, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

What a weird prediction. The desktop publishing crowd has little overlap with the home movie crowd.

What a good reminder that Steve's reality distortion field is not always right...

3. macrumors 6502a

A bit out of context...

What Steve Jobs says there is that iMovie will be bigger than desktop publishing from the perspective of creating a newsletter vs. using iMovie.

In that context, I don't think that's a huge stretch.

4. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Yeah, that makes more sense.

(And this was ages before video podcasting...)

5. macrumors member

And YouTube! . . . really, that is one wave that I think Apple saw coming, but didn't really know what part would crest first . . . as we know now, it was the low-rez, "post-it-raw-and-right-now" concept, instead of the "look at what a nice movie I made with Apples iMovie software".

Next up may very well be a 'professionalization' of YouTube, which could leverage iMovie-type stuff. And the BIG gag of all is that no company has been able to get an $80 low-rez video camera in the hands of everyone. Sony just keeps making fancier paperpeights when they should be doing everything they can to get a low-rent vidcam out to WalMart.

6. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

Actually iMovie plays a key role in Youtube creations and Youtube passed myspace a few days back.

iMovie may also play a key role in Apple's Movie Store too.

Personally I think it was more of a cloudy clairvoyance than a "wrong prediction"