Jumbo Drives on ATA-66 controller?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Dec 23, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Has anyone hooked up any of the new jumbo drives (160GB and up) on one of the two ATA-66 controllers on the DDR PowerMacs?

Or do you have to use the second ATA-100 controller to get the full drive capacity?

completely anal

Tyler

2. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Both channels will only address about 139(?) GB . Youd need a seperate ATA 133 controller. If you have one, it would be faster on the 66 controller.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

On some of the newer Towers, people have successfully put in 160 GB drives. You don't need ATA/133 for 128 - 137 GBs, you just need 48-bit addressing. Though some, including a lot of firewire cases, don't actually go the full 48, they'll will more than accomodate a 160 - 250 GB Hard Drive.

Go to www.xlr8yourmac.com for more info. Someone there put in 3 200 GB hard drives!!! Apple also has a support page on it. I believe it's in one of their FAQs.

There have been numerous threads with this topic. Often you'll get many different answers, but yes, it can be done (sometimes). Just do a search for the older threads.

Edit: ATA/133 isn't much faster than 66, or 100 (if at all). But you do get more headroom. If you run a RAID, ATA/100 will be really fast. Just wait til Serial/ATA RAID.

4. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am planning on getting WD's 200GB "Drivezilla" but want to be able to access all 200GB with the stock ata-66 controller (prob. around 185GB) and not 128-137GB. Then add two drives later on when serial ata pci cards are availible.

But I don't understand how so many people have mixed answers on this topic. If people have installed drives bigger than 160GB then it has to work.

Jimong5 have you tried to actually install a drive bigger then 160GB in your DDR PowerMac?

scratching head

Tyler

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

it should work. AND:

your pmac has the folllowing controllers -

ATA-100 (hdd it came with): >137GB OK
    ATA-66 (rack under opticals): >137GB OK w/PMG4 firmware update
    ATA-33 (opticals): >137GB NOT OK (then it is an opticals only socket)

hope it helps

6. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it helps,
    i just went out and bought the 200Gb western digital drive and installed it on the ata66 and the mac didnt recognize it.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So, uh, put it on the ATA100 controller. :confused: Do you already have 2 160+ on the 100? If you only have one hard drive, you can slave the 200. Did you try the firmware update? Still no go? I know it's supposed to work on the 100, if it doesn't somethings wrong. It would suck to have to buy an external case or ATA card, but you might have to if nothing else is working.

Have you gone to XLR8YourMac yet?

8. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

out of curiosity.... do these large hard drives work in firewire enclosures perfectly? are they recognized as large disks or are the enclosures/firewire limited to a certain size as well?

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

1. have u installed the firmware update
    2. if no success - do as you have been told. put it on the 100 controller.

look, i have 4x200 GB hdds in my MDD. so i dont know what happened to you.

[edited in]

and, i am truly sorry about the fact you went out and bought the drive. best of luck in finding a suitable solution.

one hint, if you have a drive smaller than 138GB in ur system that is not your boot drive, move it to the 66 controller and put your 200GB disk on the 100.

hope that helps a lil more than my last post. :)