Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2005
Hello All,

I recently downloaded both Splashtop Remote and Jump Desktop for my iPad.

Splashtop works great on a local network, and is my choice for when I'm in the office.

Jump Desktop is much easier to set up for a remote session outside of the office. However, I have an issue with the app.

Splashtop shows the remote session on the computer screen as well as on the iPad. Jump does not. It gives the user a login screen, which is great if you want to keep things secret, but not so great if you want to show the computer user what you are doing. Also, it ends the remote session if anyone at the computer logs in.

Does anyone know if there is a way to show the remote session to someone in front of the computer?

Thanks.

jumpdesktop

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Hi,

I work for Jump Desktop - I think I can help you with this.

It sounds like you're using Jump Desktop's RDP protocol to connect to your PC. RDP logs you out of the desktop when you connect to your computer remotely.

To see the screen on your monitor and your iPad at the same time you need to use Jump's VNC protocol support - since VNC supports screen sharing like you want.

It's easy to setup VNC with Jump:

1) On your computer, click Start -> Jump Desktop -> Jump Desktop Configuration Wizard.

2) In the wizard make sure you choose the 'Virtual Network Computing (VNC)' option. Then follow the prompts until you're done with the wizard.

3) Open up Jump on your iPad / iPhone. You should see a new computer entry there with 'VNC' in the name. Tap it to connect.

Let me know if you have further questions. Also, it'd be best to open up a support ticket here: http://support.jumpdesktop.com .

GKThursday

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2005
Thanks so much.

This app is really helping our production workflow. I can access 5 different inkjeting lines from one terminal, from outside the office.

Thanks.

steveygti

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Question

Thank you for your posts. I am using Splashtop right now on my iPhone4 and iPad 1. It works okay for me; it lags a lot and sometimes cannot connect to my desktop remotely because it cannot find my computer. I was wondering if Jump is slow on the iPad 1st Gen. I'm thinking about purchasing this app., especially today since it dropped in price to $9.99. I prefer to access my desktop/laptop when i am out of the office. What makes Jump Desktop Remote a better product than Splashtop? Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.