Jumper Settings for 2 Hardrives...help?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, May 6, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have two hardrives in my mac. One 80GB Master, and another 35GB slave. I have the 80GB set to Device 0 Master, and the 35GB is set to Device 1 Slave.

There is another option for slave, its like Device 1 (Slave) Present. Should I have it set there?

I ask because when I restart my computer, the machine will give me a gray screen with a system folder, and a question mark in the middle. It cant find a system. So, to boot up, I unplug my 35GB, and restart. Then, right after the white screen with the gray apple in it, i plug it in. It boots ok then

But I am sick of doing this. Could someone help?

2. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Can you set both of your jumpers to be 'cable select'? I'd recommend that. Make sure that the proper drive is selected for your boot drive. When you install something that the mac doesn't recognize it will thoroughly search the drive for a system folder...it should only do this once, but it will take some time for it to happen. You should zap PRAM, too....that would probably be the #1 biggest help.

Let me know how it works!

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you can also set the boot drive to Master and the extra drive to Cable Select...this is the method i use, which seems to work best for me

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cool

I think I will try setting the 2nd drive as cable select. Well see, I will report in a few...

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Meh

Cable select didnt work. But I tried just plugging the drives into an ata/100 card I have and it worked soooo thats weird.