Jumping/Skiping Movies In WMP & Quicktime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris3125, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Chris3125 macrumors member

just got my ibook and im finding that all movies i play. be it trailers from the apple website or movies ive downloaded and played in WMP or quicktime they seem to skip all the time. freeze up for a few seconds or if i select a point in a movie it doesnt load the picture but the sound continues to play.

any advice would be much appreciated

cheers

Chris

2. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Windows Media Player for Mac is just like that. Nothing you can do about it except try some alternative programs. VLC (free) and Flip4Mac (not free) are two WMP replacements that come to mind.
    Or if you can, try saving the WMV/ASX file to disk, and then play it locally with WMP.

As for your QuickTime troubles, generally QuickTime works really well on Apple computers. I'm wondering if you tried to playback the High Definition trailers (currently The Brothers Grimm and IMAX - Magnificent Desolation) on the Apple Trailers site. High Def movies don't work well on G4s.

3. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

hmm. cheers for the links. i wond be using WMP that much its just for the odd files. ill try messing around with qucktime see what i can do

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Since you're on an iBook, it might also be worth checking your energy saver preferences--if you've got the processor performance set to "reduced" (which I think you can do on an iBook), that might cause skipping in high-resolution trailers.

Otherwise, it's got to be either that the trailer is just too big to process properly (the HD ones) or you've got something running in the background that's slowing it down a bit.

WMP, however, is just like that--it's a total piece of junk on the Mac. That Flip4Mac plugin works great, though.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I second Flip4Mac its a good program....WMP for mac is dismal it wont play anything on my eMac without it going all choppy....Maybe it works better with G5 processors i dont know.

ShadOW

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Flip4Mac doesn't work for everything, however. I use it but I also keep the official client handy. Lots of news sites with free video that have those pop-up players just won't work with Flip4Mac.