Jumpy Icons

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by the Natetrix, Jul 7, 2004.

1. the Natetrix macrumors member

I have an interesting problem for everyone. Whenever I change the resolution to my display my icons will obviosuly shift and grow/shrink depending. However, all my desktop icons will find their respective places again when I revert to my preferred resolution EXCEPT my Hard Disk icons. They refuse to remain at the top right hand corner. This happens whenever I change the resolution, or reset my computer. They have a seemingly random placement on my desktop everytime. It's like a game - where are my HDs now? Behind my stickies?! Why you clever little ducks...

It's not really a problem, just an aesthetic annoyance. Anyone know why these lil suckers won't stay put?

FYI - I changed the default Hard Disk Icons to something else (supermario Grow and 1UP mushrooms!). I don't think this should matter since they were doing this even when the icons were the factory defaults.

Thanks
    Nate :p

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'm kind of curious about this myself. This has been going on since the days of OS9 and before, and it's pretty annoying. Same with when you start up the computer and the hd icon is in a different place. I'm sure there's a fix to that, but I don't know what it is.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

click on your desktop and then press apple-J/command-J this shows the viewing options for the desktop. What i have set is to snap to grid, this way you get nice neat columns and rows for all that you put on your desktop, im not 100% sure that this will fix your problem but im pretty sure it will....

4. the Natetrix thread starter macrumors member

I have triedt snap to grid to see if it worked a couple times and no go they will be in a grid... but somewhere else on my desktop. Thanks for the look out though keep em comin.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that Mac OS X has a keep aranged function, or an arange by function. This can automaticaly sort your icons by name, type, date, etc...
    It keeps them locked in the grid position, and keep them in the right place on your desktop. It's in view options. Or wherever all the other settings are (not the finder preferences).

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I keep mine arranged by name. The harddrive icon (and any mounts) will always have a variable location. It should always appear in the upper right hand corner. By telling finder to not display your hdd on your desktop is a sure fire way of fixing it.

7. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Wow, I even forgot you could have that option. I tend to ignore the finder preferences for some reason :rolleyes:

8. the Natetrix thread starter macrumors member

ok heres what I don't want: I don't want my icons locked in a grid and I don't want the desktop to not display the HDD icons.