Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
When that time finally comes, and the beta is released, do you think we will see it as an OTA, or will we need to download from a computer?

Personally, I will be driving back home from Nashville that day...all day...and am praying its OTA. Otherwise, my travel partners best be ready for a pit stop for downloading and installing. Lol. Here I come McDonald's wifi...

Any thoughts?

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Not OTA. Never has been, never will be.

iOS 6 was the first time we saw the ability to update the os over the air so I don't think it makes any difference what happened in the past.

With ios 6 the beta updates every two weeks came over the air so I think there's a chance that we could see them push the update to the registered phones right after the event.

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
iOS 6 was the first time we saw the ability to update the os over the air so I don't think it makes any difference what happened in the past.

With ios 6 the beta updates every two weeks came over the air so I think there's a chance that we could see them push the update to the registered phones right after the event.

I highly doubt that the first beta will be OTA. The second beta may be OTA, but Apple could easily wait for the last few betas to be OTA.

I always recommend that you set your iDevice in DFU-Mode, install the beta and set it up as new. This minimizes software issues and gives the best performance for your device when set up as new.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It won't be over the air. Developers are still going to need a iOS 6 based device to debug their apps, and they're going to need it until iOS 8 most likely due to the 3GS most likely not getting iOS 7.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Beta 1 of a new OS is never over the air! It can be downloaded from the Developer Portal - in its entirety, to replace iOS 6. This either requires a restore using the beta or "click" update in iTunes or Xcode. It is up to the developer whether they install it on their device/s themselves for testing their apps. Subsequent betas of iOS 7 can be OTA or sometimes they also require a restore too. Why would Apple push a beta OTA to devices when it is clearly not for the masses? Installation is purely at the discretion of the developer (so they will not push it to registered devices) or as we see on these forums - "unauthorised" user - I am sure there will be many here. Roll on the "I bricked my device" threads - as we see every year!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It won't be OTA, its easier to manage pulling down the beta by developers then apple trying to push it out to all members of developer program.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI

iOS 5 had OTA update abilities.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Looks like I will be taking a pitstop at the nearest starbucks or mcdonalds to get some wifi and be able to partake in the fun.

To bad for those traveling with me...they can take a nap or something.

Thanks for throwing around some answers/thoughts with me!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

iOS 5 also had OTA update abilities and iOS 6 still had to be downloaded through a computer for the initial install.

Also, I suspect Apple will be clearing the database of authorized devices for betas and make developers re-register the devices they want to use for the beta. Devices do get sold and replaced after all.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
You will need wifi like all the updates which kind of defeats the purpose of OTA if you are forced to use wifi regardless how big/small it is. Wish apple would change that

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
You will need wifi like all the updates which kind of defeats the purpose of OTA if you are forced to use wifi regardless how big/small it is. Wish apple would change that

Well this makes me feel like a loser. Lol. I am smart enough that I should have put that together myself.

Seriously, I apologize for that moment of stupidity.

Back to what everyone was doing...nothing to see here.

xcvista

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Shanghai, China
Nope. Only paid developers can get iOS 7b1 via flashing IPSWs. After you are on the iOS 7 beta train, you can OTA through all remaining betas and up to GM.

----------

iOS 5 also had OTA update abilities and iOS 6 still had to be downloaded through a computer for the initial install.

Also, I suspect Apple will be clearing the database of authorized devices for betas and make developers re-register the devices they want to use for the beta. Devices do get sold and replaced after all.
Re-registering devices is a big no-no for developer relationship. That device list not only determine what device can run betas, but also what device can test and debug apps on.

----------

It won't be OTA, its easier to manage pulling down the beta by developers then apple trying to push it out to all members of developer program.

There is never a OTA Beta 1 - Beta train can only get on by flashing IPSWs. But once you got on that train you stay there - OTA all the way through the final GM release which throw developers off the Beta train. I did that twice - my iPad 2 OTA'ed it's way through both iOS 5 and iOS 6 betas, and my iPhone 4S did so on iOS 6 betas too.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Because IOS 7 will be distributed as a beta and for developers only, IOS 7 beta 1 will require computer download. All beta's following beta 1 will be OTA as well as computer download for those who don't want OTA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.