Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coastertux, Aug 16, 2006.

1. coastertux macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Anyone else ever user JungleDisk (http://www.jungledisk.com/)? I just discovered it and I am currently using it as my backup solution. Since they use Amazon's S3 for storage, it only costs $.15 per gigabyte storage per month and $.20 per gigabyte of bandwidth. Your files are encrypted using your S3 private code.
  2. placain macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2006
    I've been using it for the last couple months. I mount the drive and then use rsync (with the --size-only and --inplace flags) to back up to it. Works great.
  3. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    placain, do you still use JungleDisk? Seems dirt cheap for the service, and the same account can be used on multiple computers. I was thinking about Mozy, but I dont like the $5 per computer charge.

Any comments on your experience so far?
  4. placain macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2006
    I use Mozy these days because Jungle Disk would cost me too much. I'm backing up more than a terabyte of data right now...
  5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Jan 26, 2006
    Whitehouse, OH
    I recently started using Mozy as well. As the above quote said, I chose Mozy over Amazon S3 based purely on the economics of it. I'm using the space to have an off-site backup of all of my purchased digital media files. I use my .mac space for everything else.
  6. anakaoka macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2009
    were you able to mount Jungle Disk to your macbook?

I've emailed jungle disk support (usually very quick response) - but just wondering.

Personally, i like S3 over mozy because you can access it from many places vs. 1. and have you ever tried to restore from mozy? I tried it once for 100 MB, and it took several hours... AND is it in 3 geographical locations at once? I also read a blog saying that mozy has the right to look through your info... hmmmm... i like S3 - yes its more, but its also more flexible. (Drupal sites can access the files if you have a popular website).
  7. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2008
    I'd love to use S3 but last time i checked Amazon didnt accept Debit cards from the UK....

Dropbox does it for me now.