JungleDisk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coastertux, Aug 16, 2006.

1. coastertux macrumors regular

Anyone else ever user JungleDisk (http://www.jungledisk.com/)? I just discovered it and I am currently using it as my backup solution. Since they use Amazon's S3 for storage, it only costs $.15 per gigabyte storage per month and $.20 per gigabyte of bandwidth. Your files are encrypted using your S3 private code.

2. placain macrumors newbie

I've been using it for the last couple months. I mount the drive and then use rsync (with the --size-only and --inplace flags) to back up to it. Works great.

3. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

placain, do you still use JungleDisk? Seems dirt cheap for the service, and the same account can be used on multiple computers. I was thinking about Mozy, but I dont like the $5 per computer charge.

Any comments on your experience so far?

4. placain macrumors newbie

I use Mozy these days because Jungle Disk would cost me too much. I'm backing up more than a terabyte of data right now...

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I recently started using Mozy as well. As the above quote said, I chose Mozy over Amazon S3 based purely on the economics of it. I'm using the space to have an off-site backup of all of my purchased digital media files. I use my .mac space for everything else.

6. anakaoka macrumors newbie

were you able to mount Jungle Disk to your macbook?

I've emailed jungle disk support (usually very quick response) - but just wondering.

Personally, i like S3 over mozy because you can access it from many places vs. 1. and have you ever tried to restore from mozy? I tried it once for 100 MB, and it took several hours... AND is it in 3 geographical locations at once? I also read a blog saying that mozy has the right to look through your info... hmmmm... i like S3 - yes its more, but its also more flexible. (Drupal sites can access the files if you have a popular website).

7. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I'd love to use S3 but last time i checked Amazon didnt accept Debit cards from the UK....

Dropbox does it for me now.