Junk Mail Not as Good?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by DeusOmnis, Nov 11, 2003.

1. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

Is it just me, or does the junk mail for the new version of mail not catch as much stuff? Ive been sent the same email 7 times and i've marked it junk every time..... yet it doesnt catch it the next. Other emails keep getting through too. I'm beginning to think that it's not catching any junk mail at all.

2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

have you turned on the Junk mail feature and not just left it on training?

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

In the two months I've had OS X, I have not once gotten a single piece of Junk Mail.

4. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I trained my mail for about 2 months as well before I turned it on. But I still get one email every now and then thats junk but very seldom and they are always new spam I've never gotten before.

I love the Mail program. I have Outlook or Entourage or whatever it's called but I don't even use it.

5. DeusOmnis thread starter macrumors 6502

I trained it in jaguar and brought it over into panther. It's not in training mode, and even if it was it should still recognize the junk mail. I guess since I'm the only one having a problem I screwed something up somehow.

6. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

actually i've noticed this too. using Mail for a year under 10.2.x, by the time i moved to automatic mode it was letting in maybe 1 spam every few days (if that), but since moving to panther (archive & install), it has been letting quite a bit of spam into my inbox. Mail still learns even in auto mode so i guess i'll just keep marking the spams then get through and hope the accuracy gets back to the level previous.

7. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'm so disappointed (or get so much more spam than normal) I installed this Applescript that comares incoming mail against lots of blacklists. It works ok, but while it's running, Mail is un-usable. I can't even type a new e-mail message.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I did a clean install of Panther and simply pasted in my ~/Library/Mail folder and my Mail .plist. Works like it always has: briliantly.

9. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

ive had one junk mail and that was my fault i slipped on the keyboard made the message normal and then got spammed but sorted that right out and got nothing since

10. Golem macrumors 6502

Its pretty good for me.

47 spam messages in last 7 days and of those 4 werent picked up as junk straight away, I can live with that.

Mind you it can get amusing. a couple of months I got 21 messages make it through in 1 night and every single one of them linked back to a page that basically said we never send spam, you are only getting these messages because you opted in and asked for them. But if you really dont want any more mail messages.blah,blah.. What was even more funny was it was too an email address I havent used in 3 years.

Yea right,tell mail they are all junk and opted out just on the off chance it would work and it actually did.

11. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I'm having the same problem as well, in Jaguar the Junk Mail feature was working nicely. Since I switched over to Panther it's been terrible. It marks the emails as junk, but I have to manually delete each email.

12. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

There's an opensource project for the pc called spampal (spampal.org?) that I used and it worked great. Basically, it ran between the mail client and the server, and checked each incoming mail against a whole list of RBL's, and tagged the subject with "**SPAM**" if it was found.

I have the source code, and was considering porting it over. Spampal runs as kind of a local mail daemon (you'd instruct Mail to check localhost for your incoming mail), and I guess I'd make a systempref pane to control it... dunno...

Maybe I'll ask over on their forums.