Jupiter Pics Change Theories of the Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not living at the right time - I'd love to be able to go there and see it all for myself in person. How friggin awesome would that be.....;)

I'll be lucky if I ever get into orbit in my life time. :(

D

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Damn, great post Duke. I too long for space travel. I think we are going to learn a great deal about ourselves and the universe over the next 100 years.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I second that.

I read a report from a medical institute over here last year, (in the lancet I think...). They were discussing the uses on nanotech in medicine, and the effects that tech would have on life span. They concluded by saying that people younger than 40 had a strong chance of seeing the end of the NEXT century as development increases expotentially.

I got the impression that they were fairly serious and that the article was designed to be less than speculative.

Who knows, maybe we'll get the chance to get out-system, I've long dreamed of seeing other parts of the galaxy first hand.

Hawking holds up the hope for FTL travel, not only from his work, but from others, it can't come too soon for me.

Lovely pics.:)

7. boskie macrumors regular

Images like these fuel my desire to read more sci-fi.

do any of you read?

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The thought of live to be over 130+ is kind of scary. I'd only want it if I could retain a halfway decent lifestyle. It'd be nice, though to live to see our dreams.

D

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nice post. another reason why we need to have a spacecraft that can transverse these distances and discover whats out there and why. Chemical rockets are not enough!

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

how could we post on these forums if we were illiterate? ;)

If you like SF read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

This looks interesting. I wanted to be an astronomer when I was
    little, but now I want to be a billionare computer guy ;).

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

My desire to space travel has gotten me into amateur astronomy. My space ship currently is a 10" Dob.

Those pictures are fantastic but they are nothing to seeing Jupiter or Saturn for the first time through your own telescope. Especially if you have a good one that let's you get 500x plus magnification.

The feelings of insignificance and awe just overwhelm you. I go camping with a friend of mine and take my scopes and we stay up for hours just wandering the sky with them and seeing what we happen across.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

His "Cryptonomicon" is an absolute classic, hacking, cryptography and data havens all wrapprd up in a dual time stream WW2 storyline.

Snow Crash is cool too, reminded me of the William Gibson books.

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What type of scope do you have? I got to play around with a couple 16" Celestrons we got for work before they were shipped up to Alaska. Very cool stuff. I even have StarryNight Pro on my Titanium, awesome software.

As for wannabe astronauts - have you seen www.rocketguy.com ? He's building his own rocket to get him to the edge of space! Nutso, can't wait to see how it goes.

D

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's an Orion XT-10. It's one big mutha. If I had a steady source of income at the moment (losing my job due to business closure) I would by the new tripod and mount that Orion has built to hold it. That would let me polar align in and use it as a tracking scope for photography. At the moment I just take quick shots through it without any real elapsed exposure.

I also have a ETX-60AT. It's small and light and it's a goto scope. I mainly use it to give me directions on spotting the big scope.

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I hope to get a decent scope one of these days, doing the photography would be fantastic. But living near the city, you really have to travel at least an hour away to get someplace that doesn't have much light pollution.

If you ever get any good pics, post them, I'd love to see them.

D

16. gerror macrumors 6502

I have about between 300 and 400 scifi books. Most of them I bought second hand. Very cheap

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's a couple pics I took last year of Saturn. I apologize about the quality. It was not only my fist attempt to take photos through the scope but it was also the first trip I took with my new digital camera. Also I had to hold the camera by hand and try to line the image up through the eyepiece. Once I get a mount to hold the camera to the telescope they will come out a lot sharper. The final thing I need is to get the tripod so I can setup the scope to track and then the images will be awesome.

Attached Files:

18. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's still not bad - the night we went out with the Celestrons we looked at Saturn (before the clouds rolled in :( ) and it looked little better.

That's what's nice about photography - if you get to track the object then you'll end up with a much better image than anything you'd see with your eye.

Good luck and post more pics when you get them.

D :D

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

With the naked eye I can see a large number of bands on Saturn and the cassinni division in the rings using my Orion XT-10.