Jurassic Plants..

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

[​IMG]

Scientists have discovered a grove of previously thought to be extinct trees. In the last 11 years they have learned to grow them, and expect to have commercial sale of the ancient plants soon..

Interesting stuff...

BBC Link

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

very cool from a scientific perspective. also cool that they could grow under such a variety of conditions. good for people lacking a green thumb.

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

11 years from discovery to marketing of a new plant species. That's the amazing part. The average is closer to 25.

If they are using tissue culture to propagate, that could explain it. You can get thousands of plants off of a single leaf if you do it right.

Amazing. Somehow I have missed this one. I'm going to have to search the hort journals and see what they have been saying about this plant.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

great way to repopulate the species, i wonder how many more plants & animals remain to be discovered. just fantastic.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thought to have been extinct for 2 million years! That's nuts! Great find - and I'd love to get one to plant here in the states. Very cool! :D

D

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Selling at only $100,120,318,972,132 (or enter your own massive amount of $$)

I mean how much can an extinct plant go for?

:rolleyes: