Jury Duty. Bah.

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Aug 19, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Right in the middle of my frantic job search, what do I get?

You guessed it. Jury duty. It starts August 31st, and hopefully is only a 1-3 day thing. I'd hate to tell a potential employer that I can't make an interview because of freakin jury duty. I know its not something I can avoid, but I've been working my ass off for the last year on my demo reel and finally have some good leads from siggraph this year, and when are they all hiring? End of August. Studios are very impatient when it comes to timelines and schedules, and if you cant come when they say to come, they just move on to someone who will. I sure hope this doesnt screw me over.

On the other hand, Ive always wanted to do jury duty, so it might be fun.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know what the policy is in your neck of the woods, but often times you can request a change of schedule to account for this type of thing. Generally, they won't keep putting it off, but you can usually get away with asking for a one time change, especially with these circumstances - it's worth a shot.

Might not want to risk a Kobe trial in the middle of your interviewing process...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just bring your laptop and you'll be able to do something while you're waiting around. But I'd definitely get it postponed if you have job interviews. If it all works out, you'll get a job in California and not be a resident here in Indiana...might get you out of doing it at all.

Good luck,

D

4. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Maybe I'll just wear a Rage Against the machine T-Shirt at the jury selection and give the lawyers the horns and shout, "rock on!" when they say something cool.

Or maybe my Homsar shirt...

They'll select an alternate for sure.

:D

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Walk in wearing a beer hat, a Homer Simpson t-shirt, a big foam finger with #1 displayed on it, and randomly stand up on your chair while blowing an air horn, screaming "yeah!!!!!!!!"

Oh, and paint your face too.

That will defiantly get you out of jury duty..... or arrested. :D

6. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Wear the Homsar one. Bonus points if you talk like Homsar. :D

"ahhh, I'm just in time for the murder mystery!"

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

emw may have a point. At least in Virginia they are willing to work with the jury member. They also have a one day/one trial system. Meaning that you show up for one day, if selected for trial you serve that trial (heaven forbid the 6 month trial).

I would hope that an employer would make accommodations so that you can serve your duty, and get an interview.

I am bothered by those that think that jury duty is something to get out of.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I got my first Jury summons in 16 years of being a registered voter! And I had to reject it because I don't get paid if I don't work :mad: Hopefully I'll get one again when I have a contract so I will still get paid when I do Jury Duty :D

10. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Ahhh, jury duty

I got my first summons the week after turning 18 :rolleyes: but here in MA at least you can postpone it up to one year, and as it was during school I postponed it till the summer. I recieved another summons a couple of years ago.

We have a one day, one trial rule here so if you go for your one day and are not selected your good for about 4 years I think. I have yet to be selected and basically had to wait out each day till around one or two when they sent us all home.

So try to postpone if if you can, although you may not have enough time to do so at the moment.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    the last time i was called in, it was a domestic violence case... i actually got called into the pool, and when the attorneys started to ask us questions.. the defense asked if any of us had parents that fought alot.. so i raised my hand and said my parents fight all the time.. and sometimes they throw stuff.. which they did the night before..

anyhoo.. the defense asked that I be excused... i was home by 10am. :)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Actually jury duty is approximately every three years. If they call you prior to to the three years then it's an automatic release from service. Getting a postponement is also easy, they allow you to choose a date. I'm due for jury duty in September, so I'm surprised that I haven't heard yet. I served the week after 9/11.

I would recommend trying to postpone first. It would seem that they would understand if you are on jury duty.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Doesn't that vary from state to state?

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yes it does. In Virginia I was unable to find any info that stated a particular time period between being called. The only reference i found is that they work in jury pools of 62,000 at a time. Given that you would probably look at every 3 to 4 years.

In Virginia I ma happy that they are now using the drivers licenses as a means of jury selection, not just the voter rolls.

15. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Funniest

ever!! :D

16. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I got out of it by saying I was taking care of a younger disabled brother while my parents were away... Of course i dont have any younger brothers.. and no one disabled.. But I also didnt have jury Duty...

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So wrong, on so many levels.....

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

have you seen runaway jury? you could be RICH!