Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm interested to see the verdict, but this is probably far from the last we hear about this. I predict an appeal, regardless of who loses.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Does anyone know whether this trial is video recorded for archive and if so, will it be available publicly in the near future?

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I have a gut feeling that if you're right, it's bad news for us (consumers)

Could be a long time before we see any mobile related evolution, that is, if Apple is to win all arguments made in their case.

Cost will also soar. The iPhone 7? $599, $699 and $799.

Apple will say: "Why not? Where else are you going to go? Mwuahahah!"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Since we are all waiting, anybody care to talk about why there is typically no live coverage in court? I have always known about it, but just never got around to find out.

Federal courts don't allow cameras. That's true in lots of countries. The view is that they don't need the distraction. Given the circus that lots of state trials have become (OJ, Casey Anthony, etc.) they may have a point.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
True, but appeals are mostly about technical matters. The jury is the one and only trier of fact. Now if the judge made errors that caused the jury to screw up, that's one thing, but that's difficult to prove. Courts are very deferential to juries.

Yeah, you can argue "as a matter of law..." The facts are set, but they can argue that x and y documents were improperly not allowed to be admitted and therefore the jury decided improperly, etc.

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
Somehow, this crucial moment is more exciting than waiting for Steve Jobs to unleash its first ever iPhone.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
How would an Apple win be bad for consumers? It would promote individual product creativity and create more varied competition.

It gives apple no reason to make the next three iPhones any different. Anyone who thinks otherwise just isn't thinking clearly.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
How would an Apple win be bad for consumers? It would promote individual product creativity and create more varied competition.

"Competition is good" has been taken so out of context lately, that people immediately see anything done against other company as "against competition", or any new product, as "good competition".

I, agree with what you said. Good competition comes from individual thinkers developing or creating new concepts, new ideas. Copying is competition, yes, but at the end it is stupid competition.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that poor jury, i prefer apple products but i want NO ONE to win that kindergarden

Nah, copying ideas never leads to original thought.

god forbid someone uses the same code for a pull down or copy & paste function LOL who cares

i'd understand to patent an idea as a whole but not something so silly

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Given how long the form is, it must have taken quite some time just to fill out. It will take some time for Judge Koh to read it if she's looking for inconsistencies (e.g. invalidating a patent on page 10 but awarding damages for it on page 100).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Yay.

Am I the only one who doesn't want either company to win?

I'd assume not. I want to see neither company be guilty. Although I do think Samsung infringed Apple trade dress in the UI. Unfortunately no verdict can force a review of our patent system.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If there are multiple claims, the jury could also split the decision by deciding for apple for some claims and against samsung for other claims. I have no idea how many claims there are, but it sounds like there is just one major one.

There were multiple claims. Trade dress over boxing/casings, trademarks for multiple icons, utility patents covering many different touch gestures and other OS functions, design patents for software UIs/physical tablet devices/phone devices, then Samsung had quite a few counter claims relating to utility patents themselves.

So I really doubt it'll be all or nothing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Does the judge read the verdict, the court clerk, or the jury foreperson?

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Waiting...

TEUgJ.gif

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
If a select number of devices do get banned, does that mean we cannot buy them through amazon.com, bestbuy, and other retail stores? Does the ban also apply to Ebay and amazon where you buy from users auctioning it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.