Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Steve Jobs has in plan for the MBA?

• Total voters

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
voicegy -- I just wish that I could be absolutely certain that 4Gb of RAM would be enough to allow me to run several Windows apps and several more OS X apps simultaneously from the OS X desktop with VMware Fusion in Unity mode. I am cautiously optimistic because I have been running just such a setup with only 2Gb of RAM and 1 processor core dedicated to the Fusion vm. I keep trying to get some feedback from others who have satisfactorily run a bunch ow Windows and OS X apps simultaneously in Unity mode with only 4Gb of RAM. So far, though, I haven't seen a thing that seemed definitive.

I like the iPad but only as an adjunct to a real computer, to be used for limited purposes while in situations that make a laptop inconvenient. The iPad is not suited for either document creation or numbers crunching. It's a lightweight device, which should be limited to being used for lightweight purposes.

The apps you're running in Windows don't even count on 3D graphics stuff that are tough for VMs. You shouldn't have a problem in the world with 4 GB of RAM. Pull 2 GB of RAM out of your MBP and test it. There's your best bet. Plus, your MBP doesn't have the advantage of SSD.

What you need to be worried about is an update the Tuesday before or after WWDC that has just the 320m and SSD size updates... and no RAM boost. That is still a possibility as the MB only has 2 GB of RAM.

What you also need to be worried about is a CULV CPU that runs at 1.2 GHz. And the absolute biggest problem you would have would be sole use of an Intel GMA HD for graphics. Talk about bad graphics for a VM setup... it doesn't get any worse than the Intel GMA.

I worry about the potential of my Windows experience not being as good via a VM system. When I boot Windows now, it's to play Flash or HD videos over the Internet via Hulu.com, YouTube.com and etc. I don't know if h.264 and OpenGL advantages in Windows would show through in a VM system where I am really in OS X?

There are lots of worries or fears you should have, not if 4 GB is going to be enough or if you need 8 GB. Forget the 6 GB talk because you have 6 GB because Apple didn't make the MBP capable of the real update to 8 GB RAM possible for the hardware. The MBA will get 2 GB RAM soldered, 4 GB RAM soldered, or two RAM slots. If there are two RAM slots, you could order it with 4 GB RAM or 8 GB RAM. This is obviously what I would pray for, but I believe 4 GB RAM soldered to the board is obvious UNLESS the MBA gets a case redesign. If Apple puts two RAM slots in it would need a new design so it could be easily accessed once cover is removed. It's just not likely unless there's a redesign, in my opinion anyways.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
Please Apple, give me a decent update before, at, or soon after WWDC. I need an ultra-portable for school at the end of June and I want to give you my money for a NEW Air. Don't make me purchase a Sony Vaio Z. I need windows for school, but I would much rather dual boot than run it solely on a Sony. However, if you leave me with no choice I will buy the Sony. It's been 10 years since I've bought a PC and I don't want to break the streak now. I wish I had the time to wait, but that is not the case.

Here's to hoping.....:apple:

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
There are lots of worries or fears you should have, not if 4 GB is going to be enough or if you need 8 GB. Forget the 6 GB talk because you have 6 GB because Apple didn't make the MBP capable of the real update to 8 GB RAM possible for the hardware. The MBA will get 2 GB RAM soldered, 4 GB RAM soldered, or two RAM slots. If there are two RAM slots, you could order it with 4 GB RAM or 8 GB RAM. This is obviously what I would pray for, but I believe 4 GB RAM soldered to the board is obvious UNLESS the MBA gets a case redesign. If Apple puts two RAM slots in it would need a new design so it could be easily accessed once cover is removed. It's just not likely unless there's a redesign, in my opinion anyways.
Yes, we have discussed all of this many times in many threads. I agree that your speculation about what Apple may do to update the MBA is as good as anybody else's but, at the end of the day, we won't know until -- and unless -- Apple actually updates the MBA.

You have chided me before for talking about 6Gb of RAM working well with Fusion and I have explained before that I understand the Santa Rosa MBPs like mine are limited to 6Gb. Indeed, had my MBP been able to reliably address 8Gb of RAM, I would have bought 8Gb for it instead of the 6GB I was limited to. Obviously, then, I will upgrade any MBA I buy to 8Gb in the unlikely event Apple redesigns the MBA and adds two RAM slots.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Yes, we have discussed all of this many times in many threads. I agree that your speculation about what Apple may do to update the MBA is as good as anybody else's but, at the end of the day, we won't know until -- and unless -- Apple actually updates the MBA.

You have chided me before for talking about 6Gb of RAM working well with Fusion and I have explained before that I understand the Santa Rosa MBPs like mine are limited to 6Gb. Indeed, had my MBP been able to reliably address 8Gb of RAM, I would have bought 8Gb for it instead of the 6GB I was limited to. Obviously, then, I will upgrade any MBA I buy to 8Gb in the unlikely event Apple redesigns the MBA and adds two RAM slots.

Honestly, it's stupid Apple doesn't allow 8 GB RAM to be used in that MBP. I bet money it is Apple wanting those who need 8 GB RAM to upgrade to a newer MBP. Unfortunately, Apple is really good at giving incremental updates that encourage us to truthfully WANT to give Apple more money. Anyways, I wasn't trying to give you crap about 6 GB RAM, I just think it's so absurdly odd to want 6 GB RAM. I guess it's trained into my head that RAM is sold in 2,4,8 GB quantities. It seems abnormal to hear someone say they want 6 GB RAM. See that's a limitation making you want 6 GB RAM. So that's why I alway mention it, sorry, LOL.

It is SAD in times like this when Apple refuses to give us an updated MBA that so many of us are begging Apple to LET US buy. I see Apple's mistakes as lost revenue NOW. It doesn't matter if we will wait or not. Many buyers like me will update every option I get. Why not allow me to give Apple my money more frequently than once every 19 months as it has with the MBA?

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Honestly, it's stupid Apple doesn't allow 8 GB RAM to be used in that MBP. I bet money it is Apple wanting those who need 8 GB RAM to upgrade to a newer MBP. Unfortunately, Apple is really good at giving incremental updates that encourage us to truthfully WANT to give Apple more money. Anyways, I wasn't trying to give you crap about 6 GB RAM, I just think it's so absurdly odd to want 6 GB RAM. I guess it's trained into my head that RAM is sold in 2,4,8 GB quantities. It seems abnormal to hear someone say they want 6 GB RAM. See that's a limitation making you want 6 GB RAM. So that's why I alway mention it, sorry, LOL.

It is SAD in times like this when Apple refuses to give us an updated MBA that so many of us are begging Apple to LET US buy. I see Apple's mistakes as lost revenue NOW. It doesn't matter if we will wait or not. Many buyers like me will update every option I get. Why not allow me to give Apple my money more frequently than once every 19 months as it has with the MBA?
First, I share your frustration about Apple not giving us an 8Gb of RAM option for the MBA. Second, 6Gb is an odd amount of RAM. In fact, when I was doing research in prep for adding RAM to my MBA and saw that 6Gb was its max, I was a little surprised that a 4Gb RAM module in one slot and a 2Gb module in the other would work. Obviously, I am living proof that it does work -- not that I want to do it again if I can get 8Gb instead.

I stick with Apple despite a lot of frustration because of the consistently stunning design over the years of most of their products. It must be very good or many of us would have stopped buying Macs that were consistently underpowered long ago. Like you, I would gladly pay what it took for an MBA with an i7, or even an i5, chip, decent graphics, 8Gb of RAM, and a 256Gb SSD. Is Apple likely to give us that choice? Ha!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
First, I share your frustration about Apple not giving us an 8Gb of RAM option for the MBA. Second, 6Gb is an odd amount of RAM. In fact, when I was doing research in prep for adding RAM to my MBA and saw that 6Gb was its max, I was a little surprised that a 4Gb RAM module in one slot and a 2Gb module in the other would work. Obviously, I am living proof that it does work -- not that I want to do it again if I can get 8Gb instead.

I stick with Apple despite a lot of frustration because of the consistently stunning design over the years of most of their products. It must be very good or many of us would have stopped buying Macs that were consistently underpowered long ago. Like you, I would gladly pay what it took for an MBA with an i7, or even an i5, chip, decent graphics, 8Gb of RAM, and a 256Gb SSD. Is Apple likely to give us that choice? Ha!

I think we all stick with Apple despite frustration because we do like the cool factor, and we are being taken advantage of by Apple holding OS X hostage.

The problem with Macs is Apple makes just a few Macs that are supposed to cover ALL DEMAND for OS X users. Many of us, like me, don't want to carry around an extra pound of battery and half pound of optical drive in a MacBook Pro even if it didn't get any thinner. That is just one way to explain "hostage."

People often say, "well you cannot find a computer that competes with the MBP if it has every option at the price of the MBP." What they mean is you're forced to find a PC that has backlit keyboard, LED-backlit Display, 10-hour battery, mini Display Port, FireWire, aluminum case, and thinness/weight. But the problem is most people don't need all of those features. Most people would be completely happy with a $650 Gateway laptop with a 2.4 GHz CPU, BluRay, 250 GB HDD, and 15" display. But that doesn't "match" the MBP's specs so how could that be any comparison? It is a true comparison for the potential buyer who only needs what the Gateway has... and in this scenario the Gateway has a BluRay player AND is over $1000 less than an MBP!

So this is what I mean when I say Apple holds its beloved OS X hostage. Now the problem with Apple holding OS X hostage is the main portions of advantages of using OS X are quickly being wiped away by Microsoft's new Windows 7. It is truly equivalent to OS X on every front except the Virus situation... which is a biggie. But if Apple leaves OS X 10.7 sitting in a closet with no developers currently working on it so everyone is available for iPhone OS 4... well Apple could be quickly throwing its "hostage" away. I am very close to being completely happy with Windows 7. The thing is I don't check or open email attachments there. I don't add any "fun" application sent by a friend, and I cannot surf the entire web because I don't want to run AntiVirus software on my Windows 7. If Microsoft can further distance its users from the opportunities to "accidentally" get viruses, the two OSes might stand as equals.

So I think Apple better have an Ace up its sleeve to be acting wreckless as it currently is. Apple is betting the farm on iPhone OS 4, especially when it shuts down OS X 10.7 development for three or four months leading to iPhone OS 4 release. This is a problem because Apple shouldn't be taking these risks. Apple surely sees the opportunity to grab first time growing market buyers in the smartphone business.

Apple knows if it loses as bad with iPhone to Android as it did to Windows, that it will have to earn back every user which is a lot more difficult to do when there are carrier fees to early termination of wireless contracts, when there's the high cost of entry for the switcher, and when there's also the investment the user has made in his or her Android Apps. Apple wants to take as big a piece of the growing smartphone business as possible so it doesn't suffer like it has in the PC business. Let's face it, Apple has had the best PCs but it has lost the battle because it WAS NOT good at leading a company and making great strategic decisions. Apple has definitely learned from the PC business. Look at how it dominates not just Mp3 but also iTunes music industry businesses.

However great it is to focus on iPhone and iPhone OS products, Apple shouldn't be putting OS X 10.7 on a shelf. This could be its biggest mistake yet. Why not GROW the workforce to work on iPhone OS rather than abandon OS X 10.7? I just found the news about 10.7 to be an extremely tragic mistake on Apple's behalf. Surely Jobs and co need to boot a Windows 7 Mac and see what all the fuss is about... Apple needs to INNOVATE with its Macs and OS X as well as with its iPhone OS products. The latest MBP update was the most disappointing in a long time in terms of INNOVATION.

Yes, I have stuck with Apple even though it's easy to see the error in their ways. I have stuck with Apple even though it doesn't deserve my loyalty. Yes, I have stuck with Apple and WAITED to GIVE THEM MY MONEY! Apple, there's a problem when your buyers CANNOT buy the product they want... which is a relevant luxury ultraportable in the year 2010 when Apple says more than ever it's a MOBILITY COMPANY! If that is true, why not focus your best product over all time, OS X, and use the best mobile Mac you have in the ULTIMATE MacBook Air... just like we had in October 2008. If done right, the next MBA could outsell all MBAs before it... and even the 13" MBPs.

I hope the recent frustration is met with reward at WWDC. It is time to reward your Mac OS X users Apple, with a "Mobility Mac" that blows away the competition. The MacBook Air should be your statement of vision moving forward for where not just ultraportables are headed but ALL MOBILITY MACS! I am hyped up... two weeks to go, and I am going to promise myself to be positive.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I see it taking the same road as the Apple Tv updates only when it truly needs it the air is perfect for email web photos and and iTunes movies what Apple pushs as they sell it.

You know what is perfect for those things you mentioned?

Yep, that is right.

I am betting serious cash the MBA is EOL.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009

Yep, that is right.

If they announce an iPad that can run OS X....or if they offer a 13" MBP without the optical drive, and manage to make it thinner and lighter (3lb), I can see that as a possibility.

Until then, I'm going to hang onto the belief that a company that's identifying itself as mobile oriented would want to move a product like the MBA forward, and continue to innovate its design, no matter how niche the market is. As we've seen before, the MBA is usually used to "test" ideas before making it's way to other Apple products. I'm hoping that one of the reasons for this extended delay is that we're going to see something truly amazing soon, and it will make its debut with a brand new redesigned Air.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
All Apple notebook models have now been updated except for the Macbook Air, which has had the longest wait of them all.

We have 2 weeks to go to WWDC, what do you predict Steve Jobs has ordained for the MBA?
An Ethernet port. Otherwise, it is already perfect.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I hope the recent frustration is met with reward at WWDC. It is time to reward your Mac OS X users Apple, with a "Mobility Mac" that blows away the competition. The MacBook Air should be your statement of vision moving forward for where not just ultraportables are headed but ALL MOBILITY MACS! I am hyped up... two weeks to go, and I am going to promise myself to be positive.

I agree with some of what you said, although I don't believe the situation to be as dire as you've portrayed it. Two things I'd like to bring up though:

1) Although OS X may be seen as a "hostage", I hope Apple never separates their OS from their hardware. One of the reasons why Apple products are as good as they are is because of the benefit of being in complete control of software and hardware. However, they should definitely increase their developer pool, open up more API's, and do what it takes to get people interested in developing for Apple. Once upon a time their core customer base was skewed towards the professional side, and the limited availability of products (although frustrating) was accepted. Now with the core customer base being more "prosumer"/consumer oriented, a greater variety and selection of products will be expected, or even demanded from that population. Apple needs to do what it takes to meet that demand, and find a way to entice developers.

2) This is a somewhat related point, since it bridges the way to bring developers on board....the importance of iPhone OS. It made a lot of people start developing, or at the very least interested, for an Apple device. And while the relationship has been rocky, a small army of developers are still on board with Apple, ready to develop applications for any and all iDevices that are currently available and coming out in the future. The AppStore of course was a key factor in making this happen, but the fact remains that iPhone OS is gaining developers every day, and as the iPad proliferates, the rate will increase.

Now an interesting thing to consider here is that the iPhone OS is heavily based on Mac OSX. Mac applications use AppKit and Foundation frameworks, while iDevice applications use UIKit and Foundation frameworks. The reason why I find that interesting is because iPhone OS (and therefore iDevices) are running on ARM based products. As the iPhone OS evolves (and I expect them to change the name soon), I can see it replacing OSX (or at least the need for OSX) for the majority of Apple products, especially if they continue forward in their vision of being a mobile electronics company. To me it seems like this is the perfect way to start a transition, without "stirring up the pot" so to speak.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Yep, that is right.

Apple has just identified itself as a "Mobility Company," and you think it's going to EOL the most MOBILE device that runs OS X?

No, it doesn't make sense. Many things make sense. A new MBA that blows us away at WWDC makes sense. No update until late 2010 or early 2011 makes sense. A minor bump to Nvidia 320m, drive size boost, and RAM bump makes sense. A Core i7 MBA makes sense. A new case design makes sense. The current case design makes sense. Changing the MBA makes sense. Keeping it the same but boosting its RAM and drive space could triple, quadruple, or more the sales of the MBA... it makes sense.

Apple could rebrand the MBA, use the MBA designs in the MB and MBP, but that is not happening now... but makes sense. In one form or another the MBA represents where the Mac notebooks are going.

A lot of things make sense depending on how Apple views the MBA. The one thing that doesn't make sense, from a company that identifies itself as a Mobility company, is eliminating its most mobile product that runs its bread and butter, OS X.

I wouldn't wage much on what Apple does with the MBA, but I would wage a pretty penny that the MBA doesn't get EOL'd. That makes zero sense.

With Jobs coming out saying this year we're taking Macs to the "next level," and the MBP & MB updates being a joke, somewhere in the Mac lineup something incredible is bound to happen, no? It could be the Mac Pro being "next level" but would that make sense from a mobility company?

Remember the iMac updates last January 2009? They were terribly boring. There was nothing to them at all. In October 2009 the "REAL" updates came and they were "next level" for certain. Maybe Apple means next level will happen with the next MacBook Pro updates? Maybe Apple will converge the MBA design with the MBPs at some point? It just makes zero sense to EOL the MBA. It has been a launching board for the Mac notebook technologies and designs.

I would put a pretty penny on the MBA not being EOL'd. It just doesn't make sense.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Uh, iPad is already "air;" more so than the MBA, as it's basically half the weight. You do know that the "air" tacked on to the MBA refers to weight?

MBA will not be discontinued - that I'm willing to bet money on.

Thats true, may be iPad with a built-in KB :) iPad can play HD video better than MBA can. A4 CPU is the future.

gimmi80

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Thats true, may be iPad with a built-in KB :) iPad can play HD video better than MBA can. A4 CPU is the future.

Whatever the incestuous relationship of MBA and ipad will create it's welcome if it runs os x.
If it's going to be an iPhone os creature will remain on the shelf.

mamboman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Denver, CO
MBA and IPAD converging...

and I agree, most likely the IP grows into the niche the MBA owns now. But the question is when? With the IP just out in it's current form, it might make sense to let the MBA stay where it is (which is what happened when all the MB's got an upgrade) and then BOOM! drop the next IP that looks like a computer, rather than a Touch. OR, give the MBA a little love in the mean time while that IP badboy is growing up. Obviously, only Apple knows what's in store (no pun intended) in the near future, but I'd kind of like to see a little love for the MBA while it's little cousin gets more muscle. Just a thought...:rolleyes:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
and I agree, most likely the IP grows into the niche the MBA owns now. But the question is when? With the IP just out in it's current form, it might make sense to let the MBA stay where it is (which is what happened when all the MB's got an upgrade) and then BOOM! drop the next IP that looks like a computer, rather than a Touch. OR, give the MBA a little love in the mean time while that IP badboy is growing up. Obviously, only Apple knows what's in store (no pun intended) in the near future, but I'd kind of like to see a little love for the MBA while it's little cousin gets more muscle. Just a thought...:rolleyes:

I have read analyst reports that state what I have from the beginning. The iPad will consume more MB sales than any other Mac. The iPad is going to cannibalize more of the iPod Touch sales than any other Apple product.

I believe Apple has more incentive to create a better MBA than EOL it or converge it with the iPad. It truly makes no sense to have the iPad takeover the MBA right now. There are die hard OS X users that love the portability of the iPad. Some of these users seem to be looking into the MBA if it just was a little more powerful with some more RAM and larger drives I believe the MBA can grow because of the iPad. We have seen it in the forum members here.

Now those that were never the original market for the MBA who bought it via the "Great MacBook Air DUMPING" offering $3099 MBAs for $1299 and $1799 MBAs for $999, will be more likely to buy an iPad than an MBA... but those users NEVER were the intended market of the MBA. The MBA was not meant to be a secondary computer to other laptops like an MBP. The MBA was intended for those who could use the MBA as their primary Mac OR their primary laptop.

I think people have it all wrong IN THE SHORT-RUN. In the long-run the iPhone OS will compete better with OS X. The ease of use is what Apple always wanted with the Mac OSes over Windows. Well finally in 2007 it created the iPhone OS which could actually win the hearts and minds of those wanting to use technology but wanting a simpler learning experience than a Windows type system would afford. I would say for the next five years Macs become smaller and weigh less. These Macs will focus on what the MBA has been trying to accomplish. Apple will want to take the MB and MBP into the lightweight and thin zone of the MBA for certain.

There is a possibility the MacBook "Air" branding could go away but there's no possibility in the world that the ultraportable Mac that runs OS X is going away. People just aren't thinking about the primary target of the MBA. The iPad will do very well, but it's more liable to consume a larger percentage of the MB market than the intended MBA market. I see Apple further distancing the MBA as a luxury product again with the next update. Apple needs to raise the price by $200 or so to get it to a premium price point. In addition, it will have to cover the higher costs of the premium parts used to make the MBA better. A 256 GB SSD is quite costly especially in a 1.8" form factor. All the miniature silicon are more expensive.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

So, this i7 version Air could debut at WWDC? (Since the chips' announcement may have occurred later than Apple receiving them? Or, an i7 Air can't be that early? ---- And what does this do to the HD/HQ video watching "my video turned into a slide show" and "egg frying" question?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I don't know which group of people are more ridiculous, the ones clamoring for the a merger of the mac mini and the Apple TV or the group clamoring that the iPad means the demise of the Macbook Air.

Surely there are overlaps in their capability, but each device exists for its own discreet purpose. 5-10 years from now the situation might be different, but for the foreseeable future there exists a strong rationale for the existence of the Macbook Air.

Someone who is just looking for a device to browse the web, do email, and watch movies is probably not going to spend over $1500. Someone who is looking to spend that much for a desktop class OS notebook is not going to be convinced to replace it with a device that has $499 of functionality.

mamboman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Denver, CO
This makes sense...and, I hope it is right.

I have read analyst reports that state what I have from the beginning. The iPad will consume more MB sales than any other Mac. The iPad is going to cannibalize more of the iPod Touch sales than any other Apple product.

I believe Apple has more incentive to create a better MBA than EOL it or converge it with the iPad. It truly makes no sense to have the iPad takeover the MBA right now. There are die hard OS X users that love the portability of the iPad. Some of these users seem to be looking into the MBA if it just was a little more powerful with some more RAM and larger drives I believe the MBA can grow because of the iPad. We have seen it in the forum members here.

Now those that were never the original market for the MBA who bought it via the "Great MacBook Air DUMPING" offering $3099 MBAs for $1299 and $1799 MBAs for $999, will be more likely to buy an iPad than an MBA... but those users NEVER were the intended market of the MBA. The MBA was not meant to be a secondary computer to other laptops like an MBP. The MBA was intended for those who could use the MBA as their primary Mac OR their primary laptop.

I think people have it all wrong IN THE SHORT-RUN. In the long-run the iPhone OS will compete better with OS X. The ease of use is what Apple always wanted with the Mac OSes over Windows. Well finally in 2007 it created the iPhone OS which could actually win the hearts and minds of those wanting to use technology but wanting a simpler learning experience than a Windows type system would afford. I would say for the next five years Macs become smaller and weigh less. These Macs will focus on what the MBA has been trying to accomplish. Apple will want to take the MB and MBP into the lightweight and thin zone of the MBA for certain.

There is a possibility the MacBook "Air" branding could go away but there's no possibility in the world that the ultraportable Mac that runs OS X is going away. People just aren't thinking about the primary target of the MBA. The iPad will do very well, but it's more liable to consume a larger percentage of the MB market than the intended MBA market. I see Apple further distancing the MBA as a luxury product again with the next update. Apple needs to raise the price by $200 or so to get it to a premium price point. In addition, it will have to cover the higher costs of the premium parts used to make the MBA better. A 256 GB SSD is quite costly especially in a 1.8" form factor. All the miniature silicon are more expensive.

I agree, the MBA has fit perfectly in it's "niche" for travel and I think competes admirably with the "ultras" like the Adamo (please, this is not about comparisons!). I wouldn't expect that to go away at all. I'm simply wondering if Apple doesn't have some idea that they can find the hybrid between the Pad and the MBA which would not be marketed as MBA but more of the Pad-Fad type thing. In any case, I would certainly agree that if the MBA gets a good boost, it holds the "niche" just fine. If not, I would take that as a signal that something "new" is coming. That "new" thing (and I realize I'm speculating like crazy here) I would bet looks like a cross between Pad and MBA. And personally speaking, give me a beefed up MBA any day. I'm no expert (obviously), but looking at it from the consumer side...For example, I saw a Charlie Rose show the other day where he gushed over the Pad. He had the WSJ and NYT critics on. There was about an hour gushing about the Pad. Even with the voice of reason pointing out it's no computer, there's all this talk of "the future." I just hope the MBA gets increased functionality and can hold out rather than yield to a less than adequate Pad. But, I'm just feeling the rush to push the Pad. Anyway, just a little more of my 2 cents.

bluescity

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
I am hyped up... two weeks to go, and I am going to promise myself to be positive.

Ok Scottsdale, we're going to hold you to it. Two weeks of positive...I don't know.... Bets anyone?

Myself, I so badly want to buy a new mac NOW the next two weeks are going to require serious will power.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Ok Scottsdale, we're going to hold you to it. Two weeks of positive...I don't know.... Bets anyone?

Myself, I so badly want to buy a new mac NOW the next two weeks are going to require serious will power.

Going by macrumors threads it seems like there's more eagerness for a MP than a MBA. Is that your sense or do I have that one wrong?

FWIW, I'd be quite disappointed from a shareholders perspective if at least the MBA or MP wasn't announced at the conference. We need one more thing (besides the 4G iphone) to really zing aapl. JMO ~~~~~

cheers
johnG

bluescity

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
Going by macrumors threads it seems like there's more eagerness for a MP than a MBA. Is that your sense or do I have that one wrong?

FWIW, I'd be quite disappointed from a shareholders perspective if at least the MBA or MP wasn't announced at the conference. We need one more thing (besides the 4G iphone) to really zing aapl. JMO ~~~~~

cheers
johnG

Hard for me to say, I don't follow all the threads. I think the MBA hopefuls like myself are particularly rabid, but we are undoubtedly a niche. If the MBA isn't announced, I think it is a definite sign they have decided to shift their identity away from being on the cutting edge of notebooks. I have no opinion on what that means about Apple per se, but from a purely selfish perspective I'll be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.