Just A Fad - Nano Cant Be True

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BakedBeans, Sep 7, 2005.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I think you will find that we are all very much mistaken, the iPod nano is obviously a hoax by apple, the iPod is dead isnt it?

after all iPod Is Just A Fad (Dell) and The End Of The iPod Is Near (Gates)

I remeber these comments and think they should be shoved back in the face of the 'enemy'. so mike and bill, how do you like the ipod now?

Well done apple (or as jules winfield put it

"the ipod is a mushroom cloud laying mother f***er, mother f***er".

i couldnt have put it better myself.)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes apple certainly should be given credit for innovating still, its not easy with such a product.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

how you like these apples now :p

Steve should get up and just say "how you like me now bitch"

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Main point in the event, was that it took $ years to get to its size and feature wise.

That and Apple is getting some cheap Flash memory. ;) :)

Looks almost like a mobile phone. :)

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

What Kevin Rollins is saying (in the first article) is partly true. The iPod will EVENTUALLY die out.

But it's certainly not happening any time soon.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The iPod might die or merge with a mobile phone, as to the plans with iTunes Mobile. ;) :)

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I hope that doesn't happen.... this partnership with cingular smells bad to me.

8. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

The thing is that the iPod as we know it today might die, but Apple will continue evolving it and keep the lead. I can almost guarantee it.

That is the Apple way. iPod in a few years is not going to be what is it today. Apple will find new ways of making it the best.

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Oh you are soooo right, look at this piece of garbage, they'll never compete! :p I don't think the iPod is going away anytime soon...

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I just gotta say big ups to Apple and Steve for having the kahunas to replace their best-selling iPod (the mini, of course) with something quite different. No "if it ain't broke..." mentality going on there!

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

This will be either highly successful or a HUGE flop.

I'm thinking.. SUCCESS SO SWEET

but I do love those Newtons! :):)

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Exactly!

Make them eat their words Steve! :D

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

iPod Nano = big success (my prediction anyway :) )

BTW those newtons are pretty cool katie! ;)

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

But the Minis were so freaking popular... Apple has to have something else planned, they aren't this stupid. Right?

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i sure hope not, plus i dont want to lose out in the accessory market for the iPod minis.... i really like the chameleon skins that griffin is about to release... actually pre-ordered them too....

plus they were at the perfect price point before... argh!

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

well if u think about it, the shuffle and ipod nano are both flash players. there is a huge difference in size between the nano and the ipod. if the nano is alot small and thinner than the ipod mini, i could see apple making a little bit bigger version of the nano with of course 20 and 60 gb drives eventually. just doesn't make much sense to have 2 small flash players compared to one big ipod. that is the next step i am predicting.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I will have to agree there- the iPod Mini was a run away success. Hopefully replacing them with the iPod Nano won't hurt Apple's pocketbook.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

As mentioned earlier, once the drive technology on the 1.8" HDD catches up I can see Apple dropping the 'regular' iPod in favor of a mini with 20/40 gb (let's get PERPENDICULAR) and a color screen, yadda yadda.

Then add in an iPod Video that is the same size as the standard iPod now, but with a bigger screen, new interface, etc. The 2.5" drive should soon explode to 120gb on the cheap side and 250gb and more on the more expensive side. I think people would be happy with a 60/80gb option at the moment, with 80/120 a year after launch.

Oh, and I predict that in January Steve will be tossing out numbers like 5+ million nano's sold since inception.

19. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Why shouldn't I work for the D.E.L.L.? That's a tough one, but I'll give it a shot. Say I'm working at D.E.L.L. Somebody puts a iPod on my desk, something nobody else can break. So I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that iPod was the music player of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that music player, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never had a problem with get bad music. Now the politicians are sayin', "Send in the dell jukeboxs to sound out the area" 'cause they don't give a ****. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' **** music. Just like it wasn't them when their market share was called, 'cause they were pullin' a song in the itunes music store. It'll be some guy from Southie takin' dells crap earphones in the ear. And he comes home to find that the apple store he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the crap earphones in his ear got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile my buddy from Southie realizes the only reason he was over there was so we could install a **** version of xp that would sell us **** players at a good price. And of course the player companies used the skirmish to scare up tunes prices so they could turn a quick buck. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a song. And naturally they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the songs, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and play slalom with the song selection, and it ain't too long 'til he misses an important one, spills the charts and kills all the song life in the North American market. So my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the job interviews without a good tune to listen to, which sucks 'cause the **** earphones in his ears are givin' him chronic headaches. And meanwhile he's not singing' 'cause every song he tries to listen to only itunes special they're servin' is North American market songs from the dell store. So what do I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. Why not just steal my buddys ipod, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up song prices prices, bomb a village, club a ipod nano music player, hit the napster music store and join the dell society ? I could be elected president of dell computers.

you sob's better read that! it took ages

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That's one way to put it. :D

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

My guess is that the 5th generation iPod will go down in size to about the size of the old minis, which will make the choice of what to get soo much harder. It's possible because the new perpendicular drives are so much smaller than the ones Apple uses right now. Even the standard ones are already smaller than the ones currently used.
    I know I'd replace my 20GB iPod as soon as they offer a smaller one.

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i started downloading itunes 5 just before the nano site went live and i started off at a healthy 6-700KBps and then it dipped to 6KBps, they must have had a hundred fold increase in traffic, i have never seen apples servers crippled like this

23. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I did and thank you :)

24. baummer macrumors 6502a

On the contrary, it could be said that Steve Jobs is never satisified with the products and perceives it to be broken...could explain his constant drive for innovation.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That ruled.