Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and am very interested in purchasing an apple laptop. I do have a few questions although. I might also think of more questions as time goes on, so i will post them in this thread.

1) Can you use MSN (a messenger service, which im sure some of you have) on any kind of apple laptop?

2) Is an apple laptop a good choice for school work, as apposed to a PC. For instance can i use the microsoft products (Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel.. etc.) on apple laptops?

Well these are the only two questions i can think of right now, but if any come to my head, like i said, i will post them.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
yes to both.

MSN can be used with Messenger, Adium, Fire, etc and an ichat hack.

MS office is available for purchase for os x.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
mynameismatt89 said:
hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and am very interested in purchasing an apple laptop. I do have a few questions although. I might also think of more questions as time goes on, so i will post them in this thread.

1) Can you use MSN (a messenger service, which im sure some of you have) on any kind of apple laptop?

2) Is an apple laptop a good choice for school work, as apposed to a PC. For instance can i use the microsoft products (Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel.. etc.) on apple laptops?

Well these are the only two questions i can think of right now, but if any come to my head, like i said, i will post them.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Hey Matt...in reply to MSN on a Mac...the msn programme is miserable. Proteus (http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/) is a wonderful choice instead. Very easy to use and it looks nice.

And as for Microsoft programmes on a Mac...unless you definitely need Excel, iWork, imo, gets the job done nicely. For mail, you can just use the mail programme that the mac comes w/...it's wonderful under Tiger :)

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
be aware though that you will need to purchase new 'mac' copies of Microsoft Office - but they work brilliantly, and i've had no problems with friends with PCs opening my word etc documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.