just a few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameismatt89, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and am very interested in purchasing an apple laptop. I do have a few questions although. I might also think of more questions as time goes on, so i will post them in this thread.

1) Can you use MSN (a messenger service, which im sure some of you have) on any kind of apple laptop?

2) Is an apple laptop a good choice for school work, as apposed to a PC. For instance can i use the microsoft products (Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel.. etc.) on apple laptops?

Well these are the only two questions i can think of right now, but if any come to my head, like i said, i will post them.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

yes to both.

MSN can be used with Messenger, Adium, Fire, etc and an ichat hack.

MS office is available for purchase for os x.

3. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Hey Matt...in reply to MSN on a Mac...the msn programme is miserable. Proteus (http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/) is a wonderful choice instead. Very easy to use and it looks nice.

And as for Microsoft programmes on a Mac...unless you definitely need Excel, iWork, imo, gets the job done nicely. For mail, you can just use the mail programme that the mac comes w/...it's wonderful under Tiger :)

4. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

be aware though that you will need to purchase new 'mac' copies of Microsoft Office - but they work brilliantly, and i've had no problems with friends with PCs opening my word etc documents.