Just a few thoughts about Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fredstar, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yo guys,
    I went over to play on one of my friends Powermac Dual 2.5's running the latest release of Tiger, 8A420, he is a developer and ADC member.
    Just thought i would give you a personal update on how it is getting along, a lot of people on this forum who have a legit version are too worried about the NDA, i didn't sign anything so here goes. I apologize if i use 'Awesome' too much, it really is.

Spotlight - This is the smartest search engine i have come across, Google have brought out a desktop indexer for Xp but to be quite honest it does not compare and can't find things as well as Spotlight. It will find things people really didn't think was in the system and the live updating smart folders are incredible. For anyone who thinks they don't need this, just wait till you get it. It really is just like itunes as well, literally as you type you get exact results.

Mail - I love the New interface, it is clean, modern and just fresh. The slideshow and 'add to iphoto' function is so cool!!! If you get a load of pictures from a friend it is just awesome. Again the big thing i think is the addition of the smart folders, live updating, it just rocks and makes organizing mail so easy! For example i can now keep a live updated folder for Ebay feedback, for website articals e.t.c e.t.c. It is awesome.

Dashboard - Kicks Konfabulator out of the water, it is really cool and brilliant to use. Can't wait to download loads from the web, Apple's ones are ok but i have seen better developed - but the technology is great.

Safari RSS - Works better than other implementations i have come across, a great way to catch up on the latest news

iChat Av - only got to do a 3 way video ichat but works flawlessly, i can't wait to get my whole family an isight and a Mac (1 more to go!) and try this out.

Automater - the interface is great and is very easy to use, i guess will save a lot of time when doing repetitive tasks.

Stability - Tiger is now pretty stable, a lot more than the 300 series of builds. It didn't freeze on us once doing all these cool things and i sense Tiger isn't far off. A few fixes are needed, he did mention a few problems with true SMP performance but i could only drop by and have a 30 mins preview of Tiger.

Slight Worries - Where are Apple going with the interfaces? One thing i love is consistency across a OS and they seem to be going in different directions. I think Apple should loose the brushed metal in Safari and update the look to a variant of Mail.

I am excited. Bring on a confirmed release date on 1st April, Tiger is ready.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

In case you haven't seen it, there's a new Tiger seed today (8A425).

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad to hear that Tiger is coming along nicely

i cant wait to pick it up at last!! woohoo!!!

i just keep hearing these inconsistencies in interface, but i trust Apple's judgment as they have done a great job thus far

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it, especially as I've never seen it in the flesh (like most people). I'm a little worried about the interface thing though - I for one don't like the new Mail interface, and I think Panther is too inconsistent as it is - I hope Tiger isn't even more so, although it sounds like it is. But apart from that, everything sounds great!

6. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yes like i said i am slightly concerned about the interface and where Apple are going, with Tiger right now, a lot of things have different looks and it is not consistent throughout the OS.
    Spotlight has a different layout, Mail now has a completely different layout and the brushed metal remains in Safari, iPhoto and all the ilife apps and now Automater.
    Attached below is the final version of the Mail interface if anyone is interested, it is certainly different but it just doesn't suite the rest of the OS.

Attached Files:

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I like the look of the Mail interface in Tiger. :)

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Hell I just want my mail to be sent/receive reliably.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hmm... eww. The first thing I thought of after seeing that Mail.app attachment was AOL and Windows. It probably looks better with the rest of Tiger...

It's kind of like how Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio, Motion etc. all have their own "pro" interface. I'm actually surprised it hasn't changed much over the years. I think we saw a glimpse of a new interface with some of Motion's settings windows, they're a sleek transparent black. That is sexy... I'm hoping Apple goes down that road.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I really, really can't wait for Tiger.

Pathetic, I know.