Just a thought about a new PoweMac

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mindfield, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Mindfield macrumors member

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20146

That doesn't directly relate to any new PoweMac in Q1, but it got me thinking. I imagine the ATi R500 graphics card would use PCI Express. Xbox 2's coming sometime next year or the year after that, so it's more logical than AGP. PCI Express-slots for PMs? And since a new motherboard is needed, wouldn't a faster processor be in place? Xbox 2 has been rumored to sport three 3.5 GHz PowerPC-processors.

This all are just thoughts and speculation. I'm not sure at all will a new PM have PCI Express and some 3-3.5 GHz processor in Q1.

EDIT: Actually scrap that about PS3's specs. I didn't realize the piece of news is two years old, so I don't consider it very reliable anymore.

However, since the dev kits probably will have the same processors as the actual Xbox-console, I'm guessing we could see a speed bump up to 3.5 GHz, given that whether or not the Xbox will use the same PowerPC-chip as the G5's that is. Since the speed of the processor isn't known, I bet it's higher than current line's 2.5 GHz.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I also think there is a good chance that we'll see PCI Express in the next PowerMac, but somehow I don't think the PowerMacs will be updated at MWSF. Maybe later in Q1.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The estimates for the XBox Next's processors suggest that it will run dual 3.5GHz G5s. However, this is the same company that suggested its next OS would require 5-6GHz PCs, with 2GB of ram, and 1TB hard drives. Microsoft has this tendency to overestimate everything they do. Even the minimum requirements for Windows XP aren't actually the minimum, but the minimum recommended. I've seen 486s run Windows 95 worse than a 300MHz P2 with 64 meg of ram running XP Pro.

So, I wouldn't take the proposed XBox Next's specs to mean anything in particular. The original dev kit was released with the high end G5 PowerMacs at the time (dual 2.0GHz). Moreover, judging by the old XBox (which sported a P3 processor), Microsoft will keep a bit behind the curve. Moreover, putting brand new processors in their console would send prices soaring.

4. Mantat macrumors 6502a

There is no need right now for PCI-E cards. Its all hype. The current AGP 8x bus isnt filled yet and probably wont be until the end of 2005.

So my guess is that we will stay at AGP 8x until then end of 2005 where we will also get dual core PMG5.

Until then, the predictable upgrades are: cpu bump, dual layer super drive, and thats about it! Maybe a new video card too (X800?). So the real upgrade is going to be in a year, so dont hold your breath!

5. Mindfield thread starter macrumors member

At least the bit about X800 is quite certain :cool:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ati/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004

6. Dr. No macrumors regular

And if they do update, will the low end still stay PCI?

Just a thought.

7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I completely agree with you about the hype and everything surrounding PCI Express - we don't need it, however I'd like it if it were in my system, mostly just for the future. What the future holds, of course, is running dual PCI Express graphics cards in your computer and roping them together (a la voodoo 2)... Imagine dual 6800's... Wooo! :cool:

8. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Mantat:

There's a good chance that a dual cored 970 would use the same socket used by current 970's (or at least one similar enough for Apple's daughtercard to handle), which would make it easy for Apple to change motherboard and processor at unrelated times.

9. Mindfield thread starter macrumors member

As cool as it sounds, any applications would need support to use two graphics cards. Without proper support, the benefits can be negative actually, so I'm pretty sure that it'll be a passing feature.