Just a thought about GMail and Apple mail (mostly in Tiger)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by walkingmac, Aug 26, 2004.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Looking at the features in GMail:

Search, don't sort.
    Don't throw anything away.
    Keep it all in context.
    No pop-up ads. No untargeted banners.

Besides the last (which is really just a web-based mail nicety) is this not a web based look at something like the new features in Tiger's Mail? Throw out the whole 'looking at you e-mail and giving you places to go on the web that might be interesting'.

In the new mail, we have that great new ability through spotlight to have smart mailboxes and our already great searching ability. So search and sort is very well and probably better taken care of in Mail. You really won't need to throw stuff away, specially with your junk filter going, you will never see it. We already have viewing by threads.

GMail I am sure will be great, but I am totally psyched about these features making it into Mail.

(and we better be getting the ability to send HTML e-mails back OR ELSE!)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have even better news for you. I have heard that the following changes will debut in Tiger:
    .Mac will get a mail storage upgrade a la GMail (1GB?)
    HTML email composition will be supported.

This is in addition to the Spotlight search technology and all the other great features already in Mail.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

What's with all the I have heard stuff lately? Got links to back it up? Or is it just that a friend's girlfriend's grandma had a dream some night and leaked this info? Sorry if I am being harsh, but raising expectations like that just sucks.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm having trouble finding links because search engines don't seem to like search terms that start with a period (such as .Mac) and I'm not finding relevant information on the other topic either. Therefore, take what I posted with a grain of salt, like you would any other rumor.

5. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

What would be best news for me is the return of HTML composition support that we had with Jaguar and lost with Panther. As far as i know based on the last seed of Tiger, this feature was not present yet. But, it is still early in the development yet.... so heres hoping.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What?? HTML email composition support was not in Jaguar Mail, as far as I'm aware - nor was it in previous versions of Mac OS X Mail.

7. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Your probably right... let me rephrase that...
    In Jag, I could create a HTML doc and drop that into the body of the e-mail and jag's Mail would format that e-mail as an HTML e-mail.

Does that make more sense?

As long as I get that back, it's all good. And if we can get basic HTML composing features as well... SWEET

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It seems that Panther Mail doesn't inline the HTML page if you drag it into a new message - presumably Jaguar Mail did inline the HTML instead of making it an attachment?

9. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

without knowing the language, I would say yes it did 'inline' the HTML rather then make it an attachment.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That clears that up then. I wonder if Apple removed the inlining of HTML with Panther because they thought it was a security risk? There are some bad JavaScripts out there...

11. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

good point, however unfortunate