Just a thought... Can we stop complaining about preordering and the wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dbrewer80221, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Over 12 years ago, the original iMac took over 3 months from announcement to shipping.

Almost 6 years ago, the original iPhone took 6 months from announcement to shipping.

Almost 3 years ago, the original iPad took 2 1/2 months from announcement to shipping.

Let's take a moment to realize the sheer amount of logistics it takes to manufacturer a product and ship it to a customer. Apple has made great strides in reducing this time with each successive product generation, even getting to the point of same-day availability with some devices.

Food for thought...

2. macrumors 6502

Very well said, Patience is a virtue which in this day and age, some of us don't have.

3. macrumors regular

I guess the main concern is a lot of people have been holding off their computer purchases for quite a while. I mean, if you break it down, people don't immediately need mobile phones or tablet devices, mainly due to the fact that their previous device isn't "inferior". But computers are often used for work, and when they hit their expiry date, it is best to replace them ASAP (not usually the case for iPhone/iPad).

That is the case for me, at least. I'm personally in desperate need to replace my PC as the programs I need for work are only available on a Mac. At the same time, I use my MBP but when you are hunched over a laptop all day doing work, it can cause issues of its own (neck strain, etc) when working for an extended period of time.

All in all, I do agree...people are ranting too much for something which they just want to unbox and use for the sake of it. But I guess there are the odd few of us who actually need this device ASAP for work purposes, etc.

4. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Complaints are because it was already delayed with no official reason.

5. macrumors member

I think a lot of the frustration is from simply not knowing - and people really still have no idea of when they are actually going to get their new iMac. This is presumably all to do with manufacturing issues which will frustrate Apple as well, but if someone does not like people expressing their issues in a forum then maybe they ought to choose not to read those posts.

6. macrumors 68000

I agree. I think that people were expecting an announcement as far back as June, so it's as if the delay was six months.

7. macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I think a lot of us, even those of us who don't even plan on buying these new machines, would like to at least know how much the CTO upgrades will cost so that when it comes time for our computer illiterate friends and family to decide to buy them, we can advise accordingly. Though, as stated before, there are those of us who have been limping along on a barely functioning computer and NEED this. Mind you, I don't belong in that latter camp.

8. macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

+1

They could have just initiated preorders, but they didn't.

They could have annonuced when preoders would begin, but they didn't.

9. macrumors regular

You know you can hook the MBP to an external monitor, Mouse and Keyboard... and help with those issues... The Laptop is great when traveling or when sitting on a couch, but in the office any sort of "docking" station goes a long way...

10. macrumors 6502

Care to remind us how long it took from announcement to announce the retina macbook pro 13 and 15 to shipping?

11. macrumors 6502

Care to remind us how long it took from announcement to announce the retina macbook pro 13 and 15 to shipping?

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it was a shorter time period for those to be released, but there's a difference - It's much easier for Apple's suppliers to create a laminated 15 or 13 inch panel than a 21 or 27 inch panel. It's been reported for months that screen issues were the reason for the delay.

13. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

Yep. It's known that the screens have been causing trouble and have resulted in delays. They are apparently checking every screen with some combobulator. Whatever that process is it means it takes more time and has resulted in low yields.

But hopefully when we get our machines we won't need to return if for screen issues!

14. macrumors 68000

53x12

Spectroradiometer. :D I just watched Schiller's presentation again. :cool:

15. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

Nice!

I found a bit of info on Wikipedia about it.

16. macrumors 601

Ahh what a great thread a bunch of people complaining....about people complaining smh

17. macrumors 68000

Just bought a faster Mini than all the iMacs yesterday. I won't complain.

18. macrumors regular

I don't see it as a permanent solution to the problem. Besides, when I did that last my laptop's fans sounded like they were dying, and it's only 2 years old.

19. macrumors member

By the time Apple gets around to delivering BTOs on the 27" iMac it will already be 60 days old according to macrumors' buyers guide.

Maybe the guide dateline should be when items start shipping, not when they are announced.

20. macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree 100%.
    But this is different now. This is a non-first generation of a product with a time period where you can not get the previous product. As far as I can remember I've never seen an Apple product (with a non same day release day/announcement date) that had a time where you could but no product. Hmm to explain that better.

X non-first generation Apple product released on Day Y
    X non-first generation Apple product released on Day Z

Between day Y and day Z you can still buy the current (soon to be replaced) model. But with the current iMac you can't. It went off sale before the new one will be released. So there is a time you can not order a non-first generation of the product at all.

To me this is the difference. You can't just buy a 2011 iMac now new from Apple online if you want to. I'm sure a few people would. You have to hope a few stores have one.

21. macrumors 6502

The thing that bother me is the risk that the 27" won't be available until January. There's a lot of workers that need to detract it from taxes.

22. macrumors newbie

I moved abroad a couple months ago and since then I've been using an old notebook, which is not enough for me..I actually just want to know exactly when they're going to release it..if it's late November OK, I'll wait. I waited this long until now, but I just wanted to have a date

23. macrumors 6502

does anyone know why the delay though? they must have a pretty small supply due to intense quality control

24. macrumors 65816

I understand why you say this. But another thought. It doesn't take much for Apple to make a phone say 4 or 6 weeks earlier to get production ramped up a little earlier. That's all it would take to stop the complaining.

Sadly, it gives them added hype and free advertising, so they love it.

25. macrumors newbie

i couldnt wait until December for the 27inch, i just bought the older one....