Just About To Order MBP But Need RAM Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukeowen, Nov 11, 2006.

1. lukeowen macrumors member

Hey Guys
    For the past few months I, like many others, waited for the release of the
    C2D MacBook Pro. Now that is released I have decided to order it because I need a laptop for school. It will mainly be used for Web Browsing, Itunes, Video Messaging using iSight, watching movies, and photo viewing using Picasa and iPhoto. I am also planning to use Windows XP Pro through Bootcamp where I will be lightly using Photoshop and maybe a very small amount of gaming.

Anyway to cut a long story short I'm going to order the lower end MacBook Pro from the Australian Online Apple Store within the next few days and was wondering if it was worth upgrading the RAM from 1GB to 2GB for $255 or would it be a bit of an over kill for what I was planning to do. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
    Luke

2. Jessy macrumors regular

When I upgraded my MBP from 1 GB to 2 GB, I would say about 30% of what I do with the computer started happening over twice as fast. This is especially true of system and application boot up, which is great for me, because I crash OS X about every three days or so, and have programs crash on me every day. Saves a lot of time. I highly recommend this, but I do not highly recommend the low-end MBP. I got mine (Core Duo) from the refurb store just after the C2D MBP's came out, and saved 40-some percent off the original price (the actual model I got is not available anymore because people ate up the deal, but there is a similar one with a faster processor for just a little more). For me, and for you especially, if you can go that route, do it, because you will probably appreciate $1,000, but may not get anything out of the extra lil bit of speed. I also doubt, from what you say you use a computer for, that the RAM will be worth paying for. However....

Use ramseeker or a similar Australian alternative if possible, because as long as you're geting a lifetime warranty, there's no reason to pay more for specs that will never amount to real-world performance gains. I'm experiencing my exceptional results with the cheapest RAM out there (OMNI Optival and the 1-800-4MEMORY's similarly-priced chip.) And no, the problems I mentioned above are NOT due to the RAM. I have been experiencing these issues since the beginning days of OS X with Apple-only RAM, RAM from OWC, and an assortment of random cheap stuff. I just hook too much third-party stuff up to my computer and no one has done a great job of making drivers yet.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. cobravap macrumors regular

5. lukeowen thread starter macrumors member

Hey Guys
    So u all think it's worth upgrading the base ram to 2GB. I had a look around on the net for companies that ship to AUS for RAM and here is what I found:

MacMall Australia - 1GB DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 200-pin SO-DIMM Memory - $239(incl shipping)

BuyMac Australia - 1GB PC-5300 DDRII SODIMM (200 Pin) - $189

MacOnline - 1GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM RAM Memory - $205(incl shipping)

GetMac.com.au - 1GB PC5300 DDR2 200-pin SO-DIMM Memory - $199(incl shipping

Crucial - 1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 - $148 USD/ $194 AUD

So pretty much on average I would be saving about $50 AUD if I dont buy direct of Apple. Would your guys just bite the bullet and buy off Apple knowing that its Apple Certified RAM and its being proffesionally installed or would you buy of a 3rd party and install it yourself. Does installing it myself void my warrenty and is it easy to do on the new C2D MBPs.

Thanks,
    Luke

6. JAT macrumors 603

Don't even know why you need a Pro for those tasks, a Macbook would be enough. Do you already have Photoshop just for Win? Cause it would be easier to just use it on OSX along with everything else.

Installing RAM is nothing, you can do it with your eyes closed and it never voids a warranty. Up to you whether it is worth the $50 or not.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

If you live near an Apple store (close enough to go if you are having problems) I would not buy it with the extra RAM because if you are having problems you can take it back to the store and since it is not BTO you might be able to swap it for a new one.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Check with Datamem.com for MacBook Pro RAM prices, they do ship international.
    OWC also ships international.

Since you're planning to dual boot, I would strongly consider the 160 GB perpendicular hard drive for space and performance.

Also remember that in order to use Windows XP or XP Pro, you'll need a full retail
    CD incuding SP2.

You'll also need to install A/V protection to cover your Windows partition if
    you use your Windows partition online.

There's no need to install A/V on your Mac OS X partition.