Just bought 17” MBP Core Duo...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plux79, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. plux79 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    #1
    Hi,
    I just bought standard 17” MBP Core Duo from Compusa for $2099+tax. I am debating whether I should keep it or not? After I bought it, I saw mac mall is selling it for $1749 AR+tax. What do you guys think? Sell it and buy 15” core 2 duo ($1999 model) or keep it? Thank you in advance.
     
  2. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #2
    If you just bought it, can't you return it for full refund?

    I'd say keep it as the new ones don't have much over the old ones, if anything.
     
  3. plux79 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    #3
    Yes, I still can get a full refund. I have not opened it yet, so it is still sealed. I was just wondering if this 17" core duo MBP is a good buy compared to 15" core 2 duo.
     
  4. valdore macrumors 65816

    valdore

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    #4
    I say sell it and buy the core 2 duo version. it sounds like you got hosed by compusa in the original deal.
     
  5. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #5
    It's a good computer whether you decide to keep it or not.

    You get something like 10% more performance in certain things with a Core 2 Duo ... but then you lose the screen real-estate of a 17". It really depends on what you want to do with it. Keep in mind that you paid the extra money at Compusa for instant gratification as opposed to Macmall :)
     
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #6
    Very true. :)

    I guess that this is what should be the deciding factor for you plux79- do you value the extra screen space or would you rather have a tiny speed bump (that you may not be able to notice)? :)
     
  7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #7
    yes it more or less boils down to what you do with it. Either way you got an amazing computer. If you do graphic arts, or nything that likes screen realestate go with the 17" If you dont need it, and value a faster machine go for the c2d. Or return it and get the mpb from macmall.
     
  8. plux79 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    #8
    Thank you for the reply. I might return it tomorrow, and bought it at mac mall. As if I bought it at compusa, I could buy the MBP at macmall with apple care at the same price.
     
  9. DMBGuru macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    Location:
    Tempe, AZ

Share This Page