Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Aeolius said:
Cheaper to build Up than OUT. Less roof, foundation, etc. Plus, you'd get worn out walking around a 1-level house that size. ;)

Very nice pictures Aeolius, thank you for sharing. I'm sure that the progress is very heartwarming.
;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Lacero said:
I own 20 acres in downtown NY. I don't know how much the real estate is going for though.
Okay, now I know how you make those millions each year...

The real estate market is going down soon, so if you're going to sell, now's the time.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Abstract said:
Because nobody wants to live on a 20 acre lot and have a 5 storey house that looks like a small apartment complex.

fair enough ;)

It's 3 stories (including basement). The first floor is 3,885 sq. ft., if that's spread out enough. :)
h2frontl.jpg

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
When its built, all the MR members should come by for a housewarming party. Wouldn't that be fun. :D

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Aeolius said:
fair enough ;)

It's 3 stories (including basement). The first floor is 3,885 sq. ft., if that's spread out enough. :)
h2frontl.jpg

:eek: They first floor is about 800 sq ft. more than my entire house... including the finished basement!!!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Um.....no, the first floor is 3885 sq. ft.

Aeolius said:
fair enough ;)

h2frontl.jpg

So that's what you meant before when you said that you were trying to reduce the size to something you can afford? It must be 8000 sq. ft. right now! How big was your house in the original plan?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Aeolius said:
I just read another "house" thread, so I thought I'd post an UPDATE

That's a huge house, but that's also a lot of lawn to mow :D

So how many kids do you have? And when do you plan on getting the thing finished?

D

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
So how many kids do you have? And when do you plan on getting the thing finished?

By the time the house is finished, in theory next May-June, we'll have 4 children, as we are in the process of adopting a little girl from China.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Aeolius said:
By the time the house is finished, in theory next May-June, we'll have 4 children, as we are in the process of adopting a little girl from China.

very cool - well, you'll need the room, that's for sure. How many sqft is that thing, though? And are you going to get one of those zero-turn-radius mowers for the lawn?

D

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
very cool - well, you'll need the room, that's for sure. How many sqft is that thing, though? And are you going to get one of those zero-turn-radius mowers for the lawn?

It'll be around 7,300 sq. ft. of finished space, not counting unfinished space in the basement (future fish room), second floor (future home theater and guest room), and attic (where I'll throw my 7-year old daughter when she turns 16).

As far as lawnmowers go, I have horses and a donkey in the front pasture, and 2 alpacas in the back pasture. ;) I do have a ZTR, which does take some getting used to, even after years of playing Battlezone.

The obligatory November UPDATE

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Abstract said:
^^Um.....no, the first floor is 3885 sq. ft.

lol... thats what I'm saying. The first flor is 3885sq ft... my 3 floor home is 3000 sq ft. the first floor is bigger than my house by more than 800 sq ft.

The house is really starting to come together! looks great. I love the plan you picked. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
w_parietti22 said:
lol... thats what I'm saying. The first flor is 3885sq ft... my 3 floor home is 3000 sq ft. the first floor is bigger than my house by more than 800 sq ft.
My wife and I were looking at apartment places in Tokyo a couple weeks ago.

We saw a couple of places with about 400 square feet for around $500,000 to $700,000.

Yikes!

Sushi

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
sushi said:
My wife and I were looking at apartment places in Tokyo a couple weeks ago.

We're heading to China in under two weeks. They will have to keep me medicated, due to my larger than average personal space. ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Aeolius said:
We're heading to China in under two weeks. They will have to keep me medicated, due to my larger than average personal space. ;)
Probably some industrial strength medication judging from your wonderful new home design! :D

We even found a small place (about 270 square feet) for around $260,000.

For me, the big thing is a view. I can live like a sardine as long as I can look out at something. In many places, houses are about 1 to 1.5 feet apart. Basically you look out at your neighbors house/wall -- and you can touch it if you want! ;)

With the older generation getting ready to retire, many of them want to move near a train station for convenience. So they sell their land to developers in many cases. The developers routinely put in 3 homes where one home and a small yard existed before.

My wife and i have come up with a nickname for these vary narrow homes. We call them Domino Homes! As in they look like dominos on edge.

Heck one place we saw, from the second floor you could look down into the neighbors kitchen area via their skylights. Yuck!

Sushi

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
sushi said:
... Basically you look out at your neighbors house/wall -- and you can touch it if you want!... Heck one place we saw, from the second floor you could look down into the neighbors kitchen area via their skylights.

"This is what happens when you leave home. You meet... people." - Phileas Fogg, "Around the World in 80 Days" (2004)

"He loved the world, except for all the people." - Dr Heckle and Mr. Jive, Men At Work

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i want to do something like that latter on, it fits with my general life plan of:

go to uni and get pilots license>earn a **** load of money>buy land build runway buy plane>earn **** loads more money> build house next to run way> retire.

as a life plan i cant think of a better one.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
stubeeef said:
Hey I live near, I wish I had known of this thread a ways back, there is a great conference everyyear in Asheville, the SE energy conference. Lots of great contractors and tech to not only get a smart one, but efficent also.
here is a link

Also if you are interested NC State has an awesome ongoing program here not just solar though, they are a great resource for tax credits as well. And with that much land, you must use a geothermal heat pump!

PM me if you need more or want to talk on the phone. I just built a house nearby, didn't get to use the technology I wanted but got a good edu on it.

I also live near on lake norman, and we are in the process of getting some land. What did you use? Just a realtor or do you have any secrets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.