Just Bought 24 Season 6 from iTunes . . . Disappointed In Quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sixstorm, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sixstorm macrumors regular

WTF Apple? I'm sure this has been addressed at some point but I've never bought a TV show from iTunes until now. Weren't they supposed to increase the quality of the TV shows so that Apple TV could show them in 720p? I've only got a 17" iMac and the resolution is 1440x900 . . . but why is the episodes of 24 coming up low res? I just paid $45 for the Season Pass and am very disappointed in the quality. Is there anything I can do or is that all I get?

2. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

heres a good link for you to actually get about the same resolution for free.
    http://tv.peekvid.com/s3048/
    it has every 24 show, including the 4 new ones.

the 720p thing, i have no idea on. I thought so too. But probably not until next month when the appletv is released. i also understand your dissapointment. I would've personally payed more attention before i did it, no offense. We all make mistakes though. Perhaps, it will be available soon.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I saw that this was added to the iTunes Store and was very close to purchasing it myself, but I stopped when I realized that they hadn't bumped the resolution yet. I suspect we'll see a bump right before the AppleTV is released, but until then I'll hold off on purchasing any video content from iTunes. Heck, if this happens I'll most likely cancel my cable TV subscription and just buy season passes for the shows I watch.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This site is great, thank you! :) What are you using to save the flash files as video?

And erm... isn't 24 on iTS at least at 640x480? This site is great... I bookmarked it, but unless I am doing something wrong, these videos are *very* low quality, like the original iPod video quality (which was what... something like 380x240?)

5. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I just hope that they will let me download the upgraded episodes when they double the res. If they don't, expect a complaint email/letter from me. There are no notices on iTunes, nor on the website about a change in resolution for the TV shows available for download; at least I don't see anything.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

They will I did it when they went to widescreen.I called Apple up and talked to a rep and he did some flipper switching and I re-downloaded the content.

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

*ahem*

That site can't be legal....

Now that I got that out of the way, bookmarked and saved for a rainy day.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

It may not be Apples fault. Maybe Fox doesn't want to give them the Rights to publish the episodes in HD yet.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

I'm just sayin'....

10. jrgee84 macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to save the streamed file to the hard drive to be played at a later date?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You could possibly try to find it in the browser's cache. I've done this with a few videos. Try looking at the open files for it in Activity Monitor.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

was it officially announced tv shows would be upgraded to 720p? am i missing something or are people assuming things they shouldn't be assuming?

13. twdawson macrumors member

Hi sixstorm

What resolution are these tv shows that you have downloaded as i am on encoding some of my own dvds and it would be nice to know how Apple has done it. I would have a look myself but we dont get them here in the UK.

Thanks

14. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm... Oh, I think you know the answer to that question. ;) Two words: Headless iMac. :rolleyes:™