Just bought a 12" g3 500mhz ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dpclark, Apr 17, 2005.

1. dpclark macrumors member

looking at this link listing have I made a good buy - did'nt have time to check with you guys 1st - but looks good once I up the RAM and install panther - soon to be a 2mac home!!!!!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Looks to be ok..

Congrats on the new member to your Mac family

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

put tiger on

damn damn damn, i want to sell my 600MHz ibook with 640MB ram airport and a brand spanking new battery and could have cut you a deal (could have kept the new battery ram and airport if your cheap i have other uses)

4. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I'm not sure what that is in US dollars, but I just sold one of those back in sept. It was pretty much the same system, only the latch was broke, was the cd + dvd drive, and I didn't have the original box, cd's, and documentation.

It sold for $600 US!

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

only dodgy thing about mine, cd drive is busted. but i have an external FW one

600MHz G3 20GB 16MB vram (radeon mobility)

only other issue is that the screen has white spots but they are undetectable when looking straight on.

also comes with optional clear case (insert own design with photo paper) or white case.

6. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

should be with me by tuesday - going to put panther on when I get it (have an extra copy) - is currentally running OS 9 - is there anything special I need to do before wiping the disk and installling ? (firmware etc?) new to macs and don't want to kill it stright out of the box :eek:

7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

8. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yes, but I think the 500 MHz (the first gen. of the all-white iBooks) are considered exempt from them ... someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I can't remember where I heard this. I think, but don't know, that the problems are more common to the 100 MHz FSB iBooks. The 500 MHz CPU model is still at 66.

Anecdotally, my brother's 500 MHz iBook had its share of issues, but the logic board was not among them. Its original logic board is still in use.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Who was the sucker, and how old was he/she? This person probably could have bought a basic 12" iBook 933 G3 for that much money.

10. deebster macrumors 6502

You shouldn't need to do anything to it before you erase and install OS X, but you might want to uncheck the "Install OS 9 Drivers" option if you do not plan on booting from OS 9. This does not mean you cannot use classic via OS X though.

And as HD space is at a premium maybe delete as many of the language localization files that you do not use as possible, like Hungarian, Portugese etc etc. Macaroni (shareware with 1 month trial period) is a good app to do this for all installed apps, but others will too, such as DeLocalizer and Monolingual.

Also be harsh when installing OS X - don't let it install 500MB of printer drivers for printers you don't have.

And enjoy your new baby. I've been happily using a G3 600 iBook for 3 years. Runs Panther fine, even if my measly 8MB VRAM doesn't give me Quartz Extreme.

11. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

Hi, Thanx for the advice - my baby should be with me before 1pm tomorrow - wish me luck!!!

12. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

It was a grown man. it was an eBay sale. He was actually quite pleased, but yea, I was suprised. That's what the bid went to. Made the upgrade to G4 iBook quite cheap.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hector, where did you come upon such a thing? Are they available for G4 iBooks? (I guess the plastic is identical or very nearly so.)

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

The clear cases come from macskinz.com , they make printed ones too I have an urban camo on my 700mhz and had a blue and silver on my 1ghz
    the ipod skinz are really neat, saves the cases from scratches and look cool

15. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Well the ibook arrived in one piece - had the usual marks on the case - so have bought some ice cream from radtech to polish those out.

have instaled panther - which is running quite well with the stock 128M memory and 8M video - have some memory and an airport card winging their way to me as we speak - so may install tiger - and if it runs ok buy another licence (don't want to rip apple off)

have a crumpler 12" school hymn on its way for storage and a radtech screensaveer to keep keyboard marks off the screen.

thanks for all the advice

Darrren

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

no my ibook dose not have a skin, i removed the white paint from the upper case, it currently has a mac rumors logo on a black backround ;).

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So, since you mentioned that you have both white and cleared out cases, did you get a second set of case hardware? That's the part I was wondering about -- whether, for instance, there's any way for me to get a second bottom plastic shell (the one closest to ones' lap) somehow, in a way that doesn't cost $200....

Leareth, the skinz are interesting, although when I checked the site, it looks like they do not currently have anything for notebooks, due to mfg issues, apparently. The other places that do this seem to do it more for the consoles and the iPod, and perhaps the Mac Mini, if anything. :(

Somebody should manufacturer a tinted see-through shell, like the ones Nintendo and XBox were using a couple of years ago. That would be gangsta. :D

18. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

Just upped the memory in the ibook to 384 - it now flys running 10.3.9 :cool: other then the expose parts - still only has a 8mb GPU afterall!!! Do you think this may ba capable of running tiger?

edit:

I know that this book is on the supported list - but do you guys think she will hold her own performance wise - not bothered about all the fancy eye candy - got the imac for that

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah it'll run tiger ok, i run tiger on mine and it feels allot fast than panther.

20. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

woot - bring on the cat!!!! :D

21. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

If anyone is wondering how to do this, here is a good step by step guide on how to do it. I don't remember where I found this, it was just in my bookmarks.