Just Bought a 12" PB - Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nostrum, Jun 29, 2005.

1. nostrum macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    Having used Windows Machines for the last 10 years I'm a complete novice to the OS X/Unix world, can anyone point in the direction of some good books or websites that can help me learn more about OS X and how to use it effectively?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
  3. iQuit macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005

Mac's are like getting to know how to ride a bike,you may fall some times,but once you get the hang of it...you only get better and better. Just get a feel for OS X and you will learn,I was a first time Mac user last year in September and within a week already learning it well.
  4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    1 thing I can think of that will really trip up a windows switcher is the way OS X handles quitting apps. When you click the red x, it only closes the window of that app, it is still running and taking up your system memory. You can tell what is running by looking down at your dock and there will be a black triangle under all running apps. If you do not have a lot of memory on your system it will fill up quickly and OS X has to use your hard drive, just like virtual memory in windows. Even the stock 512 can run a bit slowly if you are using more than normal amounts of programs. You can keep apps closed by selecting quit from the main menu and the top or hitting command + q. The other option is to upgrade your memory to 1.25, which is the max for 12" Pbs. I'm going the second route in a week or so.

also, for all sorts of cool stuff about os x, check out macosxhints.com.