Just bought a 15'' refurb MBP 2.33. Good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luminosity, Mar 20, 2007.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I just got a 15 inch C2D MBP for $1999. I just couldn't bring myself to get a Macbook, given upcoming improvements that are no doubt in the works, and I wanted something that would hopefully be a strong system even 2-3 years from now. I really need a new system ASAP, as my ibook's power system is failing, and it shut down on me again while I was browsing the apple store. The 2.1 C2D was good, but the 2.33 seemed like a better deal overall, given the 2 GBs of RAM and better video card.

What say you all?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know about US prices, but if you got it cheaper than what they retail for, I'm going to have to say it's a good deal. ;)

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

4. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

If you bought it off Apple's website, you probably bought the model I was just drooling over this morning. I decided I could wait, but congratulations!

An ex-Genius has this to say about Apple refurbs in his blog:
    http://ungeni.us/section/the_bar/apple_refurbs

5. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

excellent :). glad to read that, and thank you for the link.

I did indeed buy it off apple's website. I put a macbook in my cart twice over two days, and didn't feel good about it. I feel better about this MBP, though. Of course, I certainly have been wrong before.

I just want something for the long haul, rather than another transitional/temporary system, as my ibook was.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Quietmind--

I've owned a couple Apple refurbs--an eMac for my son and a Airport Extreme Base Station. Both perfect.

I think the only difference from a new unit to a refurb is the refurb comes in a brown box..... You can't BTO one, but so what?

And pricewise, saving $500 on a $2500 machine is pretty awesome.....

Best,

Bob

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I agree, that is a sick computer for the price. However, I saw that model I believe on the refurb page as well, but am going to hold off until the new hardware/Leopard arrive. I can't justify $2,000 today when it will go so much further in 3 months!

8. arachn1d macrumors member

Actually - I think the benefit won't be nearly as close to the memron upgrade. Maybe slight improvements but nothing ' so much further '.

9. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

that's sort of what my thinking was. the macbooks should see considerable improvement, but the real stepping stone was Merom itself. With a 256 MB video card, I'd like to think it'll be okay for at least the next 18 months.

10. Scorpius macrumors newbie

So you're the guy that bought it!
    I was looking at the couple of MBPs on there earlier today. I've been planning on holding off for Leopard/MBP updates, but I was sorely tempted when I saw those refurbs at a discount. I'm glad I will wait a bit longer, but you definitely got a good deal.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Congratulations! I've seen the low-end MBP discounted to $1849 and the high end one at $2349 or so, so you saved at least $300 I'd say.

12. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

About how long does it usually take a refurb to ship?

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

Well, they have to wait for a new product to break in the field, and then for it to get returned, and then for the techs to fix it... j/k... :D

Seriously, usually if someone's advertising a refurb its in stock and will ship same day or next day. Did you get it from Apple? I bought my last two refurbs from PowerMax and Smalldog.

14. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

ordered on tuesday morning, and it hasn't shipped yet.

15. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity