Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
I am totally new to mac. Been using windows xp for a while.

I checked the search topics but it mentioned I need toast & dvd backup. Can't I just burn a movie I own onto a blank DVD-R right out of the box using whatever software the new powerbooks have installed right out of the box? I know it has to be 4.7 gigs or less. But whats the easiest & fastest way to burn? and what's the easiest way to burn/compress a dvd that has MORE than 4.7gigs of data-- just so I know.

I fiddled with IDVD but when it says to drag what I want to copy into the box, and I draged the name of the dvd icon located on my desktop... it does not allow it.

thanks!

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
The movies you own are on a disc that has more storage (I can't think of the technical terms that goes with this right now so bare with me). What you need is a software that can decode the encryption for it to be copied 'DVDBackup' and then shrink those movies to fit on 4.4GB (4.7 blanks have this much space useable) 'DVD2ONEX'.
Then you will need Toast to burn the movies that you have copied.

Or you can get a software called FastDVDcopy, but that is $99. I find it to be more convienient than doing it in several steps, but it isn't free like others.

If you are thinking that Mac are stupid and that Win machines could do this...you would be incorrect. If you didn't think so, that's fine....I am sure someone else is thinking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.