Just Bought a 17" 1.67

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HasanDaddy, Jun 9, 2005.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was looking for a replacement for my 1 ghz 17" Version A

Personally, I was holding out until a PowerBook G5

however - now the main thing is going to be the MacTel PB, and I may not get one of those until REV B anyways --- sooooo.... enter the 1.67 ghz

first off, for those of you with a 1 ghz or lower, and looking to buy a PB, the 1.67 ghz is a HUGE upgrade

I took my external firewire drive with me and opened up some video projects --- granted, the G5's handle everything better --- but I was deeply impressed by the 1.67 ghz, especially compared to my 1 ghz, when doing speed tests tonight at the Apple store

in one FCP video project, I put four different DV clips on 4 simultaneous video tracks, constricted all of their sizes, and watched as all four them played in realtime together, without missing one beat ----- the laptop in store also had some footage from the new Sony HDV camera --- once again, I went ahead and played three different clips from that camera, over each other, in three corresponding timelines --- and once again, the clips played in real time!!!

in addition, my 1 ghz will shut down Safari if I open more than 12 windows at once (I'm big on multitasking) ---- however, at one point, I had Safari open with 24 windows, Mail open with 5 'new' messages to write, and Microsoft Word open ------ and the multitasking, particularly EXPOSE, got faster, of all things!

anyhoo --- I wish I had done this test in February - I probably would've purchased the 1.67 then

I think the 128 of VRAM is really helping a TON --- and the model I tried only had 1 gig of regular RAM

anyhoo --- I used my education discount and purchased the 1.67 ghz 17", and added 2 gigs of RAM to it --- I'll be picking it up tomorrow

needless to say - I'm a very happy man --- this thing will make FCP and multitasking much easier

I'll save up for the MacTel PB, which will be a 2 year purchase or so (only 730 more days until REVISION B of the MacTel PB)!!!!!

PS ---- if you need help convincing yourself to buy a Powerbook, then go and read the reviews at Amazon.com.... us folks at the rumor sites do too much panning of Apple products - the Amazon reviewers are as happy as could be
  2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Glad the 1.67Ghz worked out for you..
    I've been using my 15" pretty much since the release and its great.
    2GB of RAM is night and day difference on bootup and application tasks.. ;)
  3. x_Viper_x macrumors newbie

May 23, 2005
    i ordered mine from apple.com, should be here early next week. 17" too
  4. mspock macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2003
    2 gig of ram

I have a revision c 1,5 ghz 17" powerbook, 128 video ram, and "only" 1 gig of ram. Does it really make a good difference going from 1gig to 2 gig ? Let say maybe 10 % ? You said that apps launch faster....
  5. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think the differences really manifest themselves in apps like FCP

I know that my PowerMac has ran more stable since putting in new ram - and I can have more windows open --- render times seem about the same though

I think its the VRAm that makes the HUGE difference --- 1 gig of RAM is plenty, if you're not working with video