Just bought a 17" Powerbook G4...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ruhizandra, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ruhizandra macrumors newbie

and Final Cut Studio. Powerbook will be loaded with extra RAM and storage. Will it be possible to run all the programs in that package on a laptop? Is there a better way to go 'portable' without spending so much money? Am I nuts? Just triple checking.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

From another 17" PB owner... there is no better way.

Hope you love it as much as I do!

3. ruhizandra thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great to hear!

The computer and the software package are already on the way! (Just bought online!) I'm reading all I can about it... but it's still helpful to know that other people out there are happy with their set up. Thanks!

4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i think the video card would be the biggest issue. does anyone know how the video card performs in that laptop?

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The video card is more than adequate. The only thing that would put a strain on it would be 3D gaming and most powerbook owners are not heavy gamers.

This was my first Mac, I got it go do video and I couldn't be happier with it.

6. ruhizandra thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool news about the video card...

What mini-dv camera is "most" compatible with the Powerbook? Should I buy any add-ons to make the whole deal run even smoother than the tech specs suggest? This is my second mac but I still feel like a newbie :)

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I have had good experiences with both Sony cameras and a Canon GL-2. Most any Mini-DV camera should work just fine with your setup.

Extras may include a Firewire 800 External hard drive. Video eats up hard drive space like nobody's business. My LaCie 250 GB FW 800 drive does a really good job scrubbing through video. Definitely get a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel. You may want to get something like the Griffin iCurve to hold your PB up closer to eye-level (for comfort reasons) and an external keyboard, either Apple's USB or wireless Bluetooth keyboard would be great.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I game on mine and it still kicks ass.

This machine is beautiful and flawless. Nothing else to say.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The Studio will run just fine on that setup. I have a maxed out 15" (see sig) running Motion 2, FCP5, and DVDSP 4. Runs great. Motion is the only program you need to worry about. If you run too many effects or particle effects, it will bog down the PB. Pretty much ANY DV camcorder is just fine with the Powerbook. As for gaming, Star Wars: Battlefront, Warcraft III, Command and Conquer, and Knights of the Old Republic play beautifully on my Powerbook...even nicer on my Power Mac, but very smoothly at highest settings on the PB.

10. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

11. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have a Rev C 15in PB, running Final Cut Studio, and it works beautifully. :)

one of these is also very nice to have

CAVS ShuttlePro works great :cool:

12. ruhizandra thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the safest way to calibrate the battery on a Powerbook? If I choose not to get an external hard drive is 100MB of storage and 2 GB of RAM enough to make a short documentary say 15 minutes or less? Thanks for the tips on cameras and fun 'extras'...

13. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Welcome to the club mate!
    Tis a great machine.. and I am still very much in love with mine!

14. ruhizandra thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya'll are so sweet. Such a warm welcome! Got it all set up and runnin'. Time to go out and shoot some footage...

15. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Once you get it, I would plug it in and start it up, play with it for a little, etc.
    ;) Then unplug it and put in a DVD on "highest performance mode" and marvel at that huge screen! Wait for the warning message and then let it go to sleep on its own when its almost completely dead. Plug it back in, charge it up, and you're good to go. Repeat every 2-3mo.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

All true, but make sure you don't unplug it until it is fully charged. You must charge it fully up, then discharge it fully down. :cool: