Just bought a 24" Imac - Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmvsm, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    I had a dual 2.0 G5 which really can't hold a candle to this new iMac in asthetics or performance. I guess that the comparison isn't completely fair as I added 512MB more RAM for total of 2GB and a 7600GT video card, but for the same money, it can't be beaten. I got the whole thing for $2279 including tax, with a $100 edu discount and $30 Apple discount. I sold my G5 and 20" Cinema on eBay for $2130.

My wife freaked out at the size of the screen. She has a Mac mini with 17" LCD...HA!! HAA!!!! Whoever said that the brightness was excessive, man they weren't kidding. I had to turn it down to the lowest setting. The remote control is kick ass as well.

I've got two 250GB Lacie externals, one for a bootable backup and the other for Windows XP which is fantastic. I like to have Windows for games but need to keep it seperate. Can't let that crap infect my OSX. The 7600GT will shine in that regard.

If you are thinking about getting one of these, don't hesitate. It really is one fantastic piece of hardware. Thanks Apple!!!!!
  2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll love it more every day. :D

When you get a chance, tell how games are on XP or Mac with that graphics card. I'd love to get a 20" iMac with the 7600 video card. :p

Edit: Yes, I know that there is no nVidia 7600 card for the iMac 20".
  3. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I know. Its insane. I love my iMac. Congratulations
  4. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    That's a screaming deal. I was looking at a 2.33 24" iMac 2GB 7600GT 500GB HDD with Applecare and Bluetooth KB & MM for $2800 after Apple Employee Discount but it took too long so I got a Mini till Leopard then I'm going 24. But I am jealous. The Mini was a nice upgrade from my G4 450 but I can only imagine how much faster a C2D 2.33 would be, especially with 256 dedicated graphics and a 7200RPM drive.

Let us know if your screen hums with the brightness turned down.
  5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I also had one delivered today for one of my users. Incredible. $2300 for a gigantic screen, 2GB of RAM, 250GB HD, a 7600GT, AppleCare, and Parallels? You must be kidding me. In my Windows-centrique office, everyone is oogling this iMac like pervs at a stripclub. It's awesome.
  7. Xirtic88 macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2006
    Thinking of getting one of these for myself but I like to play Games. How well does the 7600 GT perform under XP. Has anyone played COD, Oblivion, Fear, etc on one of these?
  8. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    I was always kind of disappointed at the Macbook's excessive brightness. Not overall, but the fact that the lowest setting is still too bright. I understand that extra bright sells, and that's fine for the high end of the range. But sometimes I work on things late at night when the room is otherwise completely dark. In that situation, the lowest setting of the Macbook is painfully bright. Couldn't they have made the high end brighter and just stretched the range, keeping the old low end? The G3 iBook's lowest brightness was just right for a totally dark room (but its high end wasn't good for bright/outdoor light).

Interesting that the iMac is the same way. Won't anyone think of the people who enjoy darkness every now and then?? :( ;)
  9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    I just ordered a 24" iMac this morning. The wait is already killing me! I'm sick of working on a Powermac G4 733MHz with 17" LCD!
  10. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    yeah ive had mine for about 2 months and the thing is a beast i love it, and with my 2.33 mbp i cant complain.
  11. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    KICK ASS set-up! some people would kill for it:D :cool:
  12. cmvsm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    I'm in the process of exploring the gaming side with WinXP as soon as I pick up a few games. I've seen some benchmarks on WoW and the 7600GT is scoring at least 65fps in the most graphically challenged areas and 90 to 100fps in less intense areas. I'll test and let ya know.

I did dim the screen to the lowest setting and I get nothing but quiet. The humming issue must have been fixed or I just got lucky. My G5 Dual 2.0 was loud as hell, especially coming back from sleep or during intense processing. I can't even hear this beast under the strongest loads.

Also, I just picked up the HP C3180 printer that has the same color scheme as the iMac (glossy white and grey). It was FREE with the mail in rebate when you buy an Imac at the same time.

Merry Christmas to ME!! :D
  13. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California