Just bought a 30 gig color ipod, congratulate me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

YAYYYYY THE SOUND QUALITY IS GREAT!!!!

what should i do to the battery? charge it up to maximum, then deplete it so it goes to sleep, then recharge it all the way again, and deplte it one more time to make sure the battery is very calibrated. how do i keep the battery in optimum condition (room temperature?). if i charge it too much does it lose its charge faster? should i charge it every day if it's not being used, or once every other day for keeping it charged.
    any other advice that isn't in the manual?

i'm going to get a podsleevz
    [​IMG]
    as a temporary solution until new 20 gig color cases come out (same case as the 30 gig one)

i'll be replacing the default headphones with shure e2cs, but i have to say that the quality is pretty good.

for now i am using the stock headphones, i'd like to know how far they're supposed to go in the ear (are they supposed to touch the inner ear canal or just hang frmo the outer ear part (like off of the lobe)

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You have to be stretch them out first (the black covers) and try stretching them to their max without ripping them. Then they go on easy and leave them overnight to compress back to tightness.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

for battery info you might wanna check out http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    and about the black things, god knows, really. i never actually did :eek: :p
    oh, btw, congratulations!

4. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

are they meant to give your ears a cushion or are they necessary in order to protect your ears.

how long do they last and how do you replace them?

also, when putting them in the computer (like a pc), is it best to put the headphones in the sound card slot or can i put it in the dvd player spot, or the speaker spot.

does it mattteR?

plz answer these questions and gimme more advice plz :)

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think the black things are ment to be a comfort factor. You'll loose them faster than you can say "I have a new iPod Photo". Everyone I know has lost their's, most people don't even buying new ones.

I don't really think it matters if the headphones connect through the sound car or the DVD drive. The DVD is connected to the sound card and the DVD drives usually have a volume controller. I think you can wear the ear buds in what ever position you feel comfortable.

As for the battery, I don't think it matters how and when you charge it, its life span is horrible. I've owned 3 iPods, and their batteries don't hold there charge very well after a while. I take care of my batteries, charge up when new, and use each charge until it dies completely, and then charge up again, etc and they just don't last. I would say don't leave it charging for ever if your not using it and use/leave it in non extreme temperature. Don't leave it in your car in the winter or on really hot days, try to keep it at room temp.

Any other advice. Hmmm. With my experience with iPods I suggest buying AppleCare for them (I'n 8 monthes I had owned 3 iPods).

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Haha.

I will congradulate you on buying an iPod. But I will also congradulate you for winning the award for having the greatest number of unusual questions.
    [​IMG]
    Good Job!

7. My Yute macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that with the type of batteries that are in the ipod you don't want to be draining them fully all the time. It's actually better for the battery I've heard if you leave it on the charger constantly because it's a LI battery, it's the NI batteries that had memory effects which is why you had to constantly drain and recharge. Look on the apple page for more battery info.