Just bought a Mac Pro - any reason to keep Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wuster, Mar 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
    I bought a Mac mini (Core 2 Duo 2.0 2GB RAM) back in September during the last update and have been using that for several months. In this time, it has served its purpose well, but I decided to buy a new Mac Pro for these reasons:

* Dual monitor support
    * Internal HD expansion (the ext HDs on my desk was cluttering up)
    * Better graphics card options
    * Early 08 update made it so much more affordable
    * ... etc

Now that I can hook up the Mac Pro to my primary monitor and the living room TV, I can't imagine anywhere else in the house to put the mini. I don't even need it as a media center b/c the Mac Pro takes care of that. My gut feeling says to sell it on eBay but I just like it so much due to its compactness!

I'm wondering if any of you are using it for any other creative purposes (as a secondary computer) within your household. If so - what are you using it for?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2007
    You could use it as a local file server.
    Give it to family/friends/charities that need it.
    Just go ahead and sell it :D
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2007
    Rocket City, AL
    You could always hook it to another TV. Put it in your kitchen maybe.
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2007
    I'm using one in the bedroom. It is a nice, quiet machine for late-night surfing, movies, etc.
  5. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    heh heh I'm such a child....I'll leave it at that!

I would most certainly keep the mini as a file server or something along those lines. Perhaps put all of your media on it and use it as your media server? I would kill to have a mini for that reason. Well, not kill but you get my drift.
  6. macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2007
    You had to go there? Hahaha. Just as I hit the button to post, I realized what I had typed.

7. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My mini has two purposes.

1) Network file server, great if you have several machines.
    2) REDUNDANCY - we can't afford downtime during repairs of our laptops. If you plan to use your machine to generate income, then have a solid backup plan in case your Mac Pro takes a dump.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jan 17, 2008
    I'd keep it. If your Mac Pro decides to have something break, you'll be so glad you have a second computer to use/troubleshoot/etc.
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
    I am gonna try to see if I can sell it for a fair price:

[mod note: eBay link removed. You cannot sell or link to items you're selling outside of the Marketplace, for which you need a 100 post count minimum.]