Just bought a Mac Pro - any reason to keep Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wuster, Mar 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac mini (Core 2 Duo 2.0 2GB RAM) back in September during the last update and have been using that for several months. In this time, it has served its purpose well, but I decided to buy a new Mac Pro for these reasons:

* Dual monitor support
    * Internal HD expansion (the ext HDs on my desk was cluttering up)
    * Better graphics card options
    * Early 08 update made it so much more affordable
    * ... etc

Now that I can hook up the Mac Pro to my primary monitor and the living room TV, I can't imagine anywhere else in the house to put the mini. I don't even need it as a media center b/c the Mac Pro takes care of that. My gut feeling says to sell it on eBay but I just like it so much due to its compactness!

I'm wondering if any of you are using it for any other creative purposes (as a secondary computer) within your household. If so - what are you using it for?

2. macrumors 6502a

You could use it as a local file server.
    OR
    Give it to family/friends/charities that need it.
    OR
    Just go ahead and sell it :D

3. macrumors 6502a

shu82

You could always hook it to another TV. Put it in your kitchen maybe.

4. macrumors 6502

I'm using one in the bedroom. It is a nice, quiet machine for late-night surfing, movies, etc.

5. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

heh heh I'm such a child....I'll leave it at that!

I would most certainly keep the mini as a file server or something along those lines. Perhaps put all of your media on it and use it as your media server? I would kill to have a mini for that reason. Well, not kill but you get my drift.

6. macrumors 6502

You had to go there? Hahaha. Just as I hit the button to post, I realized what I had typed.

brian

7. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My mini has two purposes.

1) Network file server, great if you have several machines.
    2) REDUNDANCY - we can't afford downtime during repairs of our laptops. If you plan to use your machine to generate income, then have a solid backup plan in case your Mac Pro takes a dump.

8. macrumors 68000

I'd keep it. If your Mac Pro decides to have something break, you'll be so glad you have a second computer to use/troubleshoot/etc.

9. macrumors newbie

I am gonna try to see if I can sell it for a fair price:

[mod note: eBay link removed. You cannot sell or link to items you're selling outside of the Marketplace, for which you need a 100 post count minimum.]