Just bought a new 12 inch powerbook!!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cza82, Sep 4, 2005.

1. cza82 macrumors newbie

I'm so excited! I just bought a new 12 inch powerbook combo drive! . This is my first mac ever, and i can't wait to get on it and learn to use macOSX. It's charging right now so I haven't been able to give it a go. Oh the reason I posted here is because I wanted to let everyone know that best buy Canada is selling the 12 inch powerbook combo drive for $1499CAD that's about $1200USD. I've been planning on making the switch to mac for a while now, I needed a laptop for school and I wanted it to be an iBook, but at this price i decided to go the powerbook route. Anyone who lives in Canada and was thinking of buying an iBook I would suggest taking a look at this powerbook. Yay! I can't wait for the battery to fully charge!!!!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your new purchase. Welcome to the Mac side and MacRumors. I hope that you purchased extra RAM, the most that is affordable, 1 GB will give a noticeable increase in Performance. Can always go with the Crucial link above. Would also highly recommend AppleCare.

3. cza82 thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone tell me how to turn the track pad clicking on/off? thanks

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

5. dcv macrumors G3

Congratulations! You can use it while it's charging.... go on, get on there and enjoy it!

I have exactly the same machine (also my first mac) and love it :)

6. cza82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks wdlove, yeah i was planning on buying some ram next friday when i get payed, hehe kinda broke for now, but i'm gonna go to 1gb at least. Does anyone know if i get apple care for a year? the guy at best buy really didn't know much about Apple :(

7. dcv macrumors G3

Yes you get 1 year's Apple Care and can upgrade to the 3 year warranty at any point within the first year.

8. cza82 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Cfly macrumors regular

did u get it from bestbuy, i saw in the flyer that it was like 400 bucks off the regular price.

10. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

congratulations on the new powerbook!!

ive just been through what you have been through.....waiting is agony!!

i love mine.

tastic

11. cza82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cfly, yeah i did get it from best buy, after shopping around for 3 months, that was by far the best deal on an apple notebook i've seen so far. That's including my educational discount! there were only 3 left at the best buy i went to though :( I guess the new revision must be on the horizon, so they must be clearing stock.

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

If there was a Best Buy locally (Victoria BC) I would have done the same thing. As it is, I'll just end up waiting to see if there's something new by the end of the month.

Enjoy!

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Congrats on your new Mac, did you upgrade the HD to a 100GB?

The PowerBook is sweet.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A one year warranty applies to your new 12" PowerBook. You just get 90 days of of phone support. When purchasing AppleCare it extends your warranty for three years and also the phone support. I consider that to be important to decide. You still have time to decide. Apple has paid for itself with many of my Mac's, also give a sense of security.

15. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Pricing Guarantee

@cza82 ,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I'm also in Canada, just moved back to Toronto.

Double check sales pricing with Carbonation.com located in Toronto & Waterloo I believe for PowerBook pricing as well as cpuused.com which also is a brick&mortar store on dupont & bathurst here in Toronto.

Best Buy does have a lowest price guarantee where they should match it within the week of your purchase. Given the competing store is local and also has the product in stock; they'll phone to check. And they may have to beat the price by 20%. So its worth it to check! Then get an iSight ;)

Cheers, and if you in Toronto, pm me I'll also be owning my first Mac within the next few weeks; pending my next interview if success, for a better overall job including the pay rate.

16. bobbybemac macrumors newbie

bobbybemac

Yeah!!

Cogratulations to you! I know you are spending all of your time on it right now, learning how everything works. It is so much fun no? As has already been said, I recommend to RAM upgrade ASAP. I upgraded my Powerbook (same as yours) last month, and make a huge difference in performance and response time.

This Powerbook is my 47th Macintosh I have owned over the course of 16 years; they always get better and better. The video is much snappier when compared to the iBook and the Powerbook looks so much cooler!

What school do/will you attend? take care

Bobby or "Be" :)

17. dcv macrumors G3

WOW!!! :eek:

can anyone beat that?

18. bobbybemac macrumors newbie

bobbybemac

Haha

It is nothing really. I had most of them when I went to art school. I had a reputation for getting good deals, and I custom configured systems to fit certain majors. I would keep a mac for a few weeks and then sell it to someone who needed one. It was quite fun! I also made a couple grand over the years - a sort of side job. It also gave me the chance to own many different mac models, which is primarily why I started doing it in the first place. I am a Mac Addict!

Cheers,

Bobby

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Great business technique, im probably going into art school, where did you attend?

20. bobbybemac macrumors newbie

bobbybemac

Art School

I just graduated from Savannah College of Art amd Design in Georgia. It is a great school. Where are you planning to go?

21. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I know a guy who's been down there for a bit. Not sure I should say it, but what the hell. Edit: Jesus McChrist. You run into him ever? A long shot...

22. bobbybemac macrumors newbie

bobbybemac

Sorry, I can't say that I have. I majored in Graphic Design while I was dowb there.

23. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

K, just had to check.

24. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Your enthusiasm is very infectious ... enjoy it fully for years to come. With respect to my upcoming purchase, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I tilt back and forth not only between iBook and PowerBook models, but also the 12" versus 14" iBook screens.

Despite regular visits to Apple's Soho store, I never thought this would likely be decided by the toss of a coin -- heads for the iBook and tails for the P-Book. If the iBook prevails, the second coin toss would decide the size ... heads for 12" and tails for 14".

In the days of Gilligan's Island, life did seem simpler when it was a matter of deciding between Ginger and Maryann. Hold on a second ... was it? :)

25. cza82 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey everyone! I've been so busy setting up my new computer that I didn't realize how much this thread grew!!! thanks to everyone for being so kind and welcoming to this community and site :)

Prom1 : thanks for the tips unfortunatly i'm from vancouver :(

Bobbybemac : I must say 47 macs is quite an accomplishment! Apple is very lucky to have such a loyal costumer like you. I live in vancouver and attend Simon Fraser Univerity and study chemistry.

Cinnamon Swirl: Good luck with that decision..... it's tough, the ibook is one cool looking notebook too. When i thought i was going to buy an ibook i too was contemplating the 14 inch, but IMHO portability can be pricless specially if you go to school etc.

macOSX sure is nice!, cza82

P.S i never realized setting up the mac pc network could be so difficult :eek:
    It took me forever to transfer my mp3's!!!! lol